Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm a 24 year old female who is getting a colonoscopy done for the first time this Tuesday. I am scared to death over the prep. My ability to digest food changed overnight 2.5 years ago, and I have tried nearly everything such as eliminating foods that trigger extreme gas pains, intermittent diarrhea and so on and nothing has given be complete relief. I recently discovered a streak of blood on the surface of my stool and my GI thinks it's a reasonable step to get a colonoscopy done.
My doctor instructed me to take the bi-peglyte kit, which consists of me taking two bisocodyl (dulcolax) pills before I sleep tonight, and to mix a litre of water with a peglyte packet and to drink it all within an hour tomorrow beginning at 3 pm.
I then have to take one more bisocodyl pill before I sleep tomorrow evening and repeat the process of drinking the one litre peglyte solution, 5-6 hours before my procedure.

I have read horrible things about the effects of dulcolax. I have taken laxatives before a couple of years ago and I am absolutely traumatized about taking it again. I was wondering whether it would be okay to take one dulcolax pill instead of two this evening..
I have severe anxiety and the thought of going through excruciating cramps destroys me. I have to begin in a couple of hours.. please help me.... :'(

·
Registered
844 Posts
You will actually be going so often, that there won't be any cramps. The ducolax is just to ensure your stool is soft and not hard. The Peglyte will flush you out completely. You will be peeing out of your butt, so to speak. After the first hour of so of flushing out the big pieces of stool, you will only have clear liquid coming out of you. I actually find it quite nice to be on the Peglyte. It's tough having a liquid eruption every 30 minutes but I generally feel way better while I'm on it.

In the end, I think it's nothing to worry about really.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You will actually be going so often, that there won't be any cramps. The ducolax is just to ensure your stool is soft and not hard. The Peglyte will flush you out completely. You will be peeing out of your butt, so to speak. After the first hour of so of flushing out the big pieces of stool, you will only have clear liquid coming out of you. I actually find it quite nice to be on the Peglyte. It's tough having a liquid eruption every 30 minutes but I generally feel way better while I'm on it.

In the end, I think it's nothing to worry about really.
I agree nothing to worry about. I had my first one at age 22. Hopefully it will give you some answers :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.