Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everybody, I've had IBS-D for the last 6 years and lately it became utterly unbearable. Over the years I've tried various herbs, vitamins, homeopathy etc., excluding food and trying to identify triggers. For the last few weeks even the most bland diet seemed to be a trigger. I've never believed that stress is responsible - because other than the anxiety my IBS causes me - this is the least stressful period in my life (I'm mid forties).Last Saturday I tried Grapeseed extract - within hours my stomach stopped gurgling and I've had much firmer BMs since - two a day as opposed to the 5,6,7 which had become the routine. On my budget Grapeseed extract is quite expensive - I don't know if I'll need to continue using it or if it will make me normal again. Either way - the relief is magnificent.Here's a piece I found which explains its properties better than I could.Grapefruit seed extract is used to heal and clear many conditions. It has been used for over 30 years to clear infections caused by parasites, bacteria, fungi and viruses. It detoxifies the body and supports the immune system, while clearing infections of both known and unknown origins. It is nontoxic and doesn't have any harmful side effects, and for this reason, it is a popular choice in treating illness, as many medications and antibiotics can leave the body and immune system depleted after use.I hope this helps others because if I'd known it 6 years ago life would have actually been enjoyable.Take care and good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm glad things are looking up for you. But could you please clarify...... Is it Grapeseed extract or Grapefruit seed extract? Both are mentioned and I'd like to know which one was actually helpful. Also what brand and strength are you using?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry about that - I'm taking Grapeseed Extract made from Red Grapes. 50mg - two capsules before each meal. It's ironic that it's hard to actually buy grapes with seeds as they are mainly seedless now. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I don't know if you saw this; but this seems to be the mechanism by which the flavonoids in the grape seed work. (They help control the platelet activity.) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1382343/I've been able to control this for over 10 years. Hopefully you will have the same longterm effects. Experiments I have conducted in the past seem to indicate that this is a continual supplementary routine. I presume that what ever is causing the inflammatory response continues to be active and the following platelet activity which results in inflammation is what is eliminated. The upside is that these nutrients have a number of other positive effects, including cholesterol control.As far as costs, the one I use is a little under $40 a month.Cheers,Mark

·
Registered
287 Posts
IBS-d Veteran, glad you have found some relief. Am interested to hear why you decided to try this supplement.Grapefruit seed extract seems to have documented benefit in stopping d but can't find any evidence re grapeseed extract.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Petra, I initially went looking for Grapefruit Seed Extract and couldn't find any. So I bought Grapeseed Extract instead. Next time I'll look for the Grapefruit version and see if it works for me too. I'm still on a very bland diet - probably because I'll always associate food I like with D - but my BMs are still as normal as I can remember them ever being and I'm threatening myself with chocolate biscuits and a cappucino at the weekend.Best of luck to you.Brian

·
Registered
908 Posts
When I first started turning my health around the main supplement packet that I took had GSE. It was part of a program to rebalance my gut flora. I still take GSE as part of the same flavonoids that Overitnow takes. It helps keep my colitsis in check.I'm glad to hear it is working for you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.