Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Does anyone else have this problem? I must say, things have been better since I started taking calcium (and Imodium at the same time), but for some reason there are still a lot of times that I will have a perfectly solid bowel movement, then go and have another one and it won't even feel like it's going to be diarrhea. However, when I go it comes out liquid. Sometimes the second bowel movement is solid at first followed by liquid, other times it is just liquid, or really loose at least. It doesn't matter whether I take calcium or load up on Imodium the day before, this still happens sometimes. Is there any explanation for why a bowel movement is completely solid except at the very end there is some liquid?Also, the second bowel movement is never really urgent, I usually just go again as a precaution before starting my day, but usually it is far more loose than the first one.EDIT: oops...it should say "first solid, then liquid" Typo.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The start off solid/fairly solid and get looser or more liquidy as the day goes on (or in a series of BM's in a short period of time) is very common with IBS.Often if you stop things up (or you just naturally constipated) the body will push that out with looser/wetter stools. It is why a lot of description of IBS include alternating between constipation and diarrrhea. Usually if you don't stop yourself up too bad you can lessen the "flush" afterwards.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.