Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi-I'm new to the board, and have had IBS-D for about a year now. It's been very helpful to read everyone's postings and there are some things I'll try soon. I did want to share one thing that has been very helpful for me and kept me sane over the past year though. I've been taking fish oil- to supplement for something else besides IBS. But I found that when I ran out and went a couple days without it, my D came back with a vengence. As soon as I started taking the fish oil again, it clears up. It happened 2x that way, so I know it really is the fish oil. Now I don't dare skip a single dose. I still get some break through D, but only if I eat incredibly spicy foods. Anyway, I didn't see fish oil listed in any of the posts anywhere as a treatment, so I thought I'd share. Goodluck- Chrysty

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yes, fish oil is great! It soothes the digestive tract and has a whole host of other health benefits. The Book I have, "Gut Solutions" mentioned fish oil for just about every digestive ailment there is. I take it 2-3x per day.

·
Registered
29 Posts
This is interesting!I gather there is some evidence that fish oil (via an anti-inflammatory property) can help with ulcerative colitis. Medline plus cites it:http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginf...nt-fishoil.htmlIf IBS involves some inflammation--or if in some cases it involves inflammation--fish oil might help.I just bought some capsules last night. I am not sure the "fishy burp" thing is going to be a big win for me, though.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I had heard it is useful for C side. Nice to know it is working for your D. I get a daily dose of it in a cholesterol blocker and it sure works well in that; but I have never noticed any further improvement in my gut issues from it's addition to my morning pile of supps.Mark

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Christy This is something I have been investigating as part of my theory that some cases of IBS-d are caused by the excessive secretion of bicarbonate in response to elevated levels of prostaglandin E2. Fish oil helps in balancing the level of Arachidonic acid in the body and therfore reduces the amount of PGE2 - hence the improvment.If this is true in your case then you should also find that taking Aspirin for a day or two also makes a major improvment as it also works on the level of PGe2.cheerskevin
quote:Originally posted by ChristyD:Hi-I'm new to the board, and have had IBS-D for about a year now. It's been very helpful to read everyone's postings and there are some things I'll try soon. I did want to share one thing that has been very helpful for me and kept me sane over the past year though. I've been taking fish oil- to supplement for something else besides IBS. But I found that when I ran out and went a couple days without it, my D came back with a vengence. As soon as I started taking the fish oil again, it clears up. It happened 2x that way, so I know it really is the fish oil. Now I don't dare skip a single dose. I still get some break through D, but only if I eat incredibly spicy foods. Anyway, I didn't see fish oil listed in any of the posts anywhere as a treatment, so I thought I'd share. Goodluck- Chrysty

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hey, I was just wondering if anybody else has ever given the fish oil thing a shot.I'm currently looking for some natural stuff to help with the ibs but there is so much i'm not really sure where to start so any info is great.(I have ibs-d)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was curious about the fish oil thing, so I did a search of the group archives. There was a big discussion of fish oil in 2004; you might want to take a look. Seems like several members tried it. I didn't run across much in the way of reports of results.In any case, it doesn't seem to me that fish oil could hurt; it doesn't appear to interact with many drugs. (See Medline Plus for possible interactions.)

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
SKAngel--As I mentioned abouve, I have not seen a significant change in my stools from fish oil; but I have been using a flavonoid supplement that has stopped the D since the end of 1999.If you can't find an approach that works, I sure believe it is worth a shot.Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.