Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this group so I'll give a little background on my IBSI was diagnosed with IBS a few years back--constipation with periodic diarhea. The gastroenterologist suggested Citrucel which he said would decrease the constipation. I started with 1 Tbs and gradually increased to 2 Tbs when I didn't get any relief. My constipation actually got worse. I finally concluded that my constipation was being increased by the Citrucel not helped. I stopped taking it all together, but then I started having diarhea several times a month usually after going out to eat or the day or two after going out to eat. I've done some personal research into the hormones that regulate bowel activity. These are released in response to three things that American's tend to get too much of when eating out--sugar, fats, and caffeine. Sugar and fats directly cause the release of hormones that stimulate the bowel and caffeine prolongs the normal stimulation coming from the brain. After considering my own eating habits, I realized that when I go out to eat I tend to drink several glasses of sweet tea while waiting on the food to arrive. This was one main difference compared to when I'm eating at home. The other difference is that I tend to be more excited or enthusiastic about eating out, which I think is also a contributing factor.I have made the following adjustments and as a result I've been IBS free for several weeks--no constipation or diarhea.1. When I eat out I get ice water and don't drink much during the meal.2. I make a conscious effort to eat more slowly and not to over eat.3. I avoid excessively greasy or sweet foods during a big meal.4. I take 1 teaspoon of Citrucel each night--the amount that I determined to be optimal for my system.I hope that what I've found helps someone else! Martinmfo4v###virginia.edu

·
Registered
24 Posts
Glad to hear that someone is finding some relief! It's interesting that you said Citrucel increased your constipation. I've been taking Fibercon and it's not been helping, so now I've switched to Citrucel. I may try your suggestion. Also "loading-up" on fiber makes me worse. I've been having such bloating and pain, that I'm seeing a gastroenterologist tommorrow.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Glad to hear that someone is finding some relief! It's interesting that you said Citrucel increased your constipation. I've been taking Fibercon and it's not been helping, so now I've switched to Citrucel. I may try your suggestion. Also "loading-up" on fiber makes me worse. I've been having such bloating and pain, that I'm seeing a gastroenterologist tommorrow.

G

·
Hi:Yes, it is interesting that you say eating more slowly helps your IBs..I have also found that if I chew food till it is liquid that I do indeed have more frequent bowel movements. One has to make a conscious effort to do this but if one takes the time it really works. I think the term is called FLETCHERIZING your food as someone named Fletcher recommended chewing food till liquid. Also reducing or eliminating sugar, honey etc. is crucial for IBSers I think. Walter Kay

G

·
Hi:Yes, it is interesting that you say eating more slowly helps your IBs..I have also found that if I chew food till it is liquid that I do indeed have more frequent bowel movements. One has to make a conscious effort to do this but if one takes the time it really works. I think the term is called FLETCHERIZING your food as someone named Fletcher recommended chewing food till liquid. Also reducing or eliminating sugar, honey etc. is crucial for IBSers I think. Walter Kay

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.