Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been and my young son also been quite ill this week with intestional problem..I had lots of mucus and blood and cramps etc , nausea and everthing that goes with it and my son has been very miserable (he is 15) with severe pain every time he tries to go..the doc phoned in flagyl for us as he suspected tainted food or something and also anti spasm med for my son (so far no ease in pain with the pills)..this is awful..I have had this 5 days now and son is on day 3..anyone ever use flagyl and does it work??I also heard it causes bad side effect???thank you for any inputkarenps have any of you ever had a intestional bug that was bad like this before?i also have ibs

G

·
Sounds almost like a water borne illness like amebic dysentary (sp)...I have sure had Flagyl alot but in my IV when I had surgery last week. I did take four by mouth before surgery..on an empty stomach and didnt have any problems....sorry to hear of your misery..sounds nasty. Hope it moderates soon...

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
My experience with Flagyl was that it took quite a few days to have an impact on my symptoms. I know you probably don't wanna hear that, but that was my experience. I was on it almost a full 7 days before it began to slow down the diarrhea I was having. I had C-Diff though so perhaps it will work faster on whatever is ailing the poor two of you. I'm so sorry that you two are feeling so ill. Keep at it with the Flagyl; it works on infections but it does take its time. Hoping you are both feeling better real soon.BQ

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you both for your kind words..still hanging in there..no improvement yet..but this forum I really like..it is great to be able to be so frank with things that we do not normally share with peoplekaren and steve(sick son)

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Karen, Just hoping you and Steve feel better real soon. Have patience with the Flagyl. If in a several days you both still see absolutely no improvement or your symptoms become more severe, call the Doc back.Let us know how you are.BQ

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Hi Karen:I've been on flagyl a number of times and it is a very powerful antibiotic. Make sure you eat something with it, or you could get sick to your stomach.After being on it a few times for diverticulitis, I couldn't tolerate it any more -- it made me sick. But it is very good for gut infections.JeanG

·
Registered
354 Posts
Took a brief course of flagyl without any problems. Do you live in a small town or get your water from a well? In other words, do you have a safe water source? If not and you haven't already done so you should switch to bottled water just incase the source of your problem is water borne. Your symptoms remind me of Walkerton, Ontario.Wishing you and you son a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
our water is city water and all well with it..tody is Monday and we are still ill..real weird symptoms..doc did thing bacterial food poisening, but who knows..no one else in household is ill yet but son and me..broke out in cold sweat last night and arms ache now too..to me it sounds more like a flu..one good thing I lost some pounds I wanted
I start new job today and do not know how I will do it..am going anyway as they said it is not contagious..hopefully doc is correctkaren

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.