Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GI wants me to take flagyl three times a day for three weeks. Has anyone had any experience with flagyl?Thanx,Karl

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was put on a couple of different courses of flagyl when my IBS symptoms first made their appearance. It is usually used for people who have an infection from contaminated water.The medicine will give you a metallic taste in your mouth and it is very important that you don't drink any alcohol while you are on it as it will make you seriously ill.Hope this helps.Christine
Smile, It makes people wonder what you have been up to!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had to take Flagyl a number of times after antibiotics when my normal flora gets messed up. Also meds for yeast overabundance. This summer I had so many antibiotics that my lymph nodes in my abdomen got enlarged and I thought I had appendicitis or something. The surgeon I went to poked the lumps with his finger and said "What'd they try to do, sterilize you?", then laughed. He told me to let nature take it's course and in about 6 weeks I was feeling lots better.When on Flagyl you might have a metallic taste in your mouth and or headaches. These are just side effects and go away when the Flagyl is finished. My face even gets a little puffy, but what're ya gonna do? Good luck and hope you feel better soon.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Flagyl is the brand name for metronidazole. This is a drug used to treat several differenttypes of bacteria(usually anaerobe) and parasites(particularly giardia). The side effects of flagyl areoccasional nausea, metallic taste, and the drug can cause severe interactions if taken withalcohol(vomiting, etc.). It should be avoided in patients with liver impairment. Long term use hasoccasionally led to peripheral neuropathy. It commonly produces darkened urine. Biaxin is the brandname for Clarithromycin an antibiotic belonging to the macroglide class. This drug is used to treat avariety of infections and is effective against bacteria, mycoplasma and chlamydia species. Side effectsinclude nausea, diarrhea, rash, and abnormal taste. It usually is fairly well tolerated as is Flagyl. Hope this helps you

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.