Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am IBS-D. Periodically I will experience after a B.M., what my friend (who used to have colitis prior to his surgery) calls "Flaming Hoop Syndrome". What it is, is a burning sensation after a B.M. "Normal" people would experience this after a spicy meal sometimes. I seem to get it with no co-relation to spicy meals. Anyone else experience this? What causes it? What can I treat it with? Thanks.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
One cause for burning diarrhea is excess bile in the stool.The bile is supposed to be removed for recycling prior to the stool entering the colon. Sometimes this doesn't happen. Often it doesn't happen in people with crohn's because the small intestine where this uptake occurs is inflammed and not functioning properly (or may have been removed because it was so badly damaged) and who have had their gallbladder removed since in that case the flow of bile is unregulated.If this tends to occur when you eat fatty meals that may lend creedance to the it may be bile thing as bile is generally more heavily released when you consume alot of fat.Calcium supplements and Questran seem to help a number of people with diarrhea. Questran specifically binds bile and Calcium often forms insoluble compounds with assorted things and may also be helping with the bile problem.You may want to check out threads that talk about those things. K.------------------I have worked for the government and at universities doing scientific research primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have never done any independant clinical testing for the pharmaceutical industry, nor have I ever worked for a drug company. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
One cause for burning diarrhea is excess bile in the stool.The bile is supposed to be removed for recycling prior to the stool entering the colon. Sometimes this doesn't happen. Often it doesn't happen in people with crohn's because the small intestine where this uptake occurs is inflammed and not functioning properly (or may have been removed because it was so badly damaged) and who have had their gallbladder removed since in that case the flow of bile is unregulated.If this tends to occur when you eat fatty meals that may lend creedance to the it may be bile thing as bile is generally more heavily released when you consume alot of fat.Calcium supplements and Questran seem to help a number of people with diarrhea. Questran specifically binds bile and Calcium often forms insoluble compounds with assorted things and may also be helping with the bile problem.You may want to check out threads that talk about those things. K.------------------I have worked for the government and at universities doing scientific research primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have never done any independant clinical testing for the pharmaceutical industry, nor have I ever worked for a drug company. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

G

·
I do on occasion get the what I call acedic BMs but as Kmottus says I generally find it is diet related. Having a failing liver is is really important for me to watch my diet but sometime it is worth the price for the flavor and to be the perfect guest.

G

·
I do on occasion get the what I call acedic BMs but as Kmottus says I generally find it is diet related. Having a failing liver is is really important for me to watch my diet but sometime it is worth the price for the flavor and to be the perfect guest.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am so glad I've found this forum. I knew this might be the one place where I could find an answer to the "burning question" of Flaming Hoop Syndrome - or, as I call it, "cinnamon-toothpick butthole."Bile is not the same as stomach acid, right? I always thought the ring o' fire was caused by too much acid. Then again, I spent most of my life thinking I was the only one who had that problem regardless of whether I had eaten spicy food.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am so glad I've found this forum. I knew this might be the one place where I could find an answer to the "burning question" of Flaming Hoop Syndrome - or, as I call it, "cinnamon-toothpick butthole."Bile is not the same as stomach acid, right? I always thought the ring o' fire was caused by too much acid. Then again, I spent most of my life thinking I was the only one who had that problem regardless of whether I had eaten spicy food.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I would tend to think bile would be more of a problem because the small intestine neutralizes the acid from the stomach as the intestines aren't protected from the acid like the stomach is.I would think that if you were not neutralizing the acid that you would have more problems than having a flaming butthole (better to have one that to be one
).Bile can irritate the colon (it is supposed to be recycled, but this may not always happen as efficiently as it is supposed to be) and the anus. People who have problems that prevent bile from being recycled at all tend to have diarrhea that burns on the way out big time.There also can be problems with hemmaroids and fistulas of the anus and these can burn as well.K.------------------I have worked for the government and at universities doing scientific research primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have never done any independant clinical testing for the pharmaceutical industry, nor have I ever worked for a drug company. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I would tend to think bile would be more of a problem because the small intestine neutralizes the acid from the stomach as the intestines aren't protected from the acid like the stomach is.I would think that if you were not neutralizing the acid that you would have more problems than having a flaming butthole (better to have one that to be one
).Bile can irritate the colon (it is supposed to be recycled, but this may not always happen as efficiently as it is supposed to be) and the anus. People who have problems that prevent bile from being recycled at all tend to have diarrhea that burns on the way out big time.There also can be problems with hemmaroids and fistulas of the anus and these can burn as well.K.------------------I have worked for the government and at universities doing scientific research primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have never done any independant clinical testing for the pharmaceutical industry, nor have I ever worked for a drug company. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks people for your replies. I'll try the calcium and see if Questran is avail. in Canada. glad i'm not the only one w/ this prob. I also have acid but maybe it's bile. you seem to know a lot, kmottus. glad you are on this board. nice joke about the butthole! Thanks again.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks people for your replies. I'll try the calcium and see if Questran is avail. in Canada. glad i'm not the only one w/ this prob. I also have acid but maybe it's bile. you seem to know a lot, kmottus. glad you are on this board. nice joke about the butthole! Thanks again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.