Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! I have, what I would call, a very mild case of IBS. I will have small flare ups that usually consist of morning loose stools. Occasionally, I will eat something that may cause cramping and VERY loose stools. I think I am going through one of those times.Last Thursday, a co-worker begged me to try some of his "speciality" dish--it's called Checreute Garni (I'm sure I've spelled it wrong). It consists of sausage, chicken, pork, potatoes, and saurkraut. I was hesitant because I know I am sensitive but I didn't want to go into it. It was VERY good, especially the saurkraut portion. I think it is safe to say I probably ate more than I should have!! Anyway, that afternoon I started with the "expected gas" and gurgling. The next morning, I had terrible loose stools, bordering on diarrhea (no cramps though). By lunch, the diarrhea had stopped but when I went to go to the bathroom, I would have a little bit of loose stool that would kind of "slip out", along with mucous. On Saturday, I still had some mucous. Then on Saturday night, my parents took me out to dinner and, can you believe it, I ate a bean burrito (WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME). On Sunday morning, I had terrible cramping, sweats, loose stools. I felt better by about 3:00 p.m. Yesterday (monday) I had nothing come out but some very mild cramping after eating.Today, I ate and got the urge to go. The stool is more formed yet the whole thing is covered in a mucous. Very weird. So, I guess my question is obviously the saurkraut kicked this off but, my goodness, how long can a food cause this? I know I added insult to injury with the bean burrito. Why all the mucous? I've had mucous before so I'm not totally freaked out by it, but the whole thing is making me nervous. Have any of you had experiences like this?Thanks,Christine

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Mucus is the basic, non-specific "something is bothering me" response of the colon.Even if the food that started it is gone it might take a couple of days for the colon to settle back down, especially if you eat other things that are triggers (and everyone does that, it isn't just you).It is fairly common for some IBSers to have noticable amounts of mucus, especially when the IBS gets triggered and goes off. You produce some all the time, but more when the colon is "irritable" over something.K.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
So Kathleen, IBS 'could' be the culprit for excessive amounts of mucous each bowel movement, everyday?I never have a bowel movement without LOTS of mucous.It's really quite gross if you ask me.If it is the "something is bothering me" response... could that something thats bothering me each time I go to the bathroom be IBS?I mean it's just lots and lots of mucous each day.. w/ every bowel movement.I've wondered about that as well.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Some people do seem to have mucus all the time with IBS.I suspect (no proof) but I would guess that in some people the nerves or other cells regulating mucus production may be mis-interpreting signals (like the eat move stuff along signal for people with diarrhea after each meal or the rectum is totally full go NOW!!!!! signal that some people get when there is anything at all in the rectum even if it is just a little bit).Now it could be the "make mucus" signal is up to high rather than the responder to the signal responding when they shouldn't.One of the signals I know about is histamine. When that gets high (like from a parasite, which is what it should respond to) there is a dump water and mucus into the colon and flush sort of response. It might be worth a try of an antihistamine, either Benedryl or Zantac or both to see if it calms the mucus down some. One other thought. One of the mechanisms that anxiety/stress is thought to trigger diarrhea is by setting off mast cells in the gut via the nerves connected to the mast cells. Histamine is released by the mast cells, so those with anxiety triggered diarrhea might see more mucus than others.A lot depends on how much of a bother it is, because it is usually more of a freak out at what came out of a person issue than it is causing problems (although if you have a lot of wet farts that release mucus some people might find that enough of an issue to try to reduce it).Mucus is a lubricant that protects the lining of things (nose, colon) and usually isn't harmful to have around, more of the annoying to have too much of sort of thing.K.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Kathleen, tremendous advice.I was actually going to start taking Benadryl for itchy skin and another condition... So that would be interesting to see if it had a positive effect on the mucous.It's not something thats particulary concerning, other than not really knowing "why". Thanks for putting an explaination to this for us all.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
One aspect of this is the colon naturally sheds cells from the colon wall a non stick surface.When the colon is over active it can shed more of cells which are covered in muscous."Excess mucus production, which often occurs in IBS, is not related to mucosal injury. Its cause is unclear, but it may be related to cholinergic hyperactivity."http://www.merck.com/mrkshared/mmanual/sec...apter32/32a.jsp"Some patients see gobs of mucous in the stool and become concerned. Mucous is a normal secretion of the bowel, although most of the time it cannot be seen. IBS patients sometimes produce large amounts of mucous, but this is not a serious problem."http://www.gicare.com/pated/ecdgs03.htm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts