Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading some reviews of IBS books, I noticed that many of the writers referred to "dealing with flare-ups". I don't suffer from temporary attacks of IBS, my IBS is more or less constant with any eating activity. I assume that I am in the minority on this. Responses?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
When my IBS was really bad it was after every meal, but the symptoms intensity did tend to vary from obnoxiously bad to completly unbearable so there could have been some flare ups even though the "good times" were unacceptably bad.IBS varies from an occasional problem separated by relatively long stretches of normalcy to being a constant problem. Even in those that suffer every day there may be some waxing and waning of symptoms and there can be sudden periods of remission (the funniest one I had when it was really bad and I was in constant pain was that I got food poisoning and even though that was bad the pain was gone and I almost wished I could stay sick so I wouldn't be in pain).My severe daily IBS has been for the most part in remission since 1998 after doing 3 months of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. With no medications at this time it is pretty mild, but with low doses of meds I can be symptom free almost all the time.K.------------------I have worked for the government and at universities doing scientific research primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have never done any independant clinical testing for the pharmaceutical industry, nor have I ever worked for a drug company. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
When my IBS was really bad it was after every meal, but the symptoms intensity did tend to vary from obnoxiously bad to completly unbearable so there could have been some flare ups even though the "good times" were unacceptably bad.IBS varies from an occasional problem separated by relatively long stretches of normalcy to being a constant problem. Even in those that suffer every day there may be some waxing and waning of symptoms and there can be sudden periods of remission (the funniest one I had when it was really bad and I was in constant pain was that I got food poisoning and even though that was bad the pain was gone and I almost wished I could stay sick so I wouldn't be in pain).My severe daily IBS has been for the most part in remission since 1998 after doing 3 months of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. With no medications at this time it is pretty mild, but with low doses of meds I can be symptom free almost all the time.K.------------------I have worked for the government and at universities doing scientific research primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have never done any independant clinical testing for the pharmaceutical industry, nor have I ever worked for a drug company. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
My IBS is constant. I consider myself having a flare-up when the pain (on a scale from 1-10) is a 10 instead of the usual 5 or 6.------------------"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"Rose (C-type)

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
My IBS is constant. I consider myself having a flare-up when the pain (on a scale from 1-10) is a 10 instead of the usual 5 or 6.------------------"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"Rose (C-type)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Well, I'm not sure what others mean by flare-up!Kmottus, I think it was, posted that "normal" is having BMs 3x/day to 3x/week. It's been at least a decade since I had only 3 BMs a day! Maybe longer.But there are weeks when I have continuous cramps and almost constant urgency, multiple accidents per day, and loose stools. And then there will be what I consider respites when I can actually sit through a meeting or my morning commute without emergency, when I can eat (overcooked, still) vegetables without feeling like a swallowed Drano or somedamnthing, and I can get through a whole workout at the gym.I cannot even imagine what it would be like to have a week, say, much less a lifetime when I could eat tomatos, wear colored underwear (you can bleach white), and get through a two-hour meeting or movie without event.Love,Lydia

·
Registered
269 Posts
Well, I'm not sure what others mean by flare-up!Kmottus, I think it was, posted that "normal" is having BMs 3x/day to 3x/week. It's been at least a decade since I had only 3 BMs a day! Maybe longer.But there are weeks when I have continuous cramps and almost constant urgency, multiple accidents per day, and loose stools. And then there will be what I consider respites when I can actually sit through a meeting or my morning commute without emergency, when I can eat (overcooked, still) vegetables without feeling like a swallowed Drano or somedamnthing, and I can get through a whole workout at the gym.I cannot even imagine what it would be like to have a week, say, much less a lifetime when I could eat tomatos, wear colored underwear (you can bleach white), and get through a two-hour meeting or movie without event.Love,Lydia

G

·
I'm pretty much like Jeff and Linr, but stressful situations can cause SEVERE flare ups which last for months on end. The rest of the time it's just a lot of pain and annoying related symptoms.

G

·
I'm pretty much like Jeff and Linr, but stressful situations can cause SEVERE flare ups which last for months on end. The rest of the time it's just a lot of pain and annoying related symptoms.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Well... since I quit that job I only have an occasional minor bout now and then. It is not gone but there are no cramps or inability to function.To me the major flare ups are when I'm going 6+ times a day, cramping everyday, and it can last months or even years. Shoot when you're in that cycle your whole perspective on life changes and you focus more on getting through 1 day

·
Registered
732 Posts
Well... since I quit that job I only have an occasional minor bout now and then. It is not gone but there are no cramps or inability to function.To me the major flare ups are when I'm going 6+ times a day, cramping everyday, and it can last months or even years. Shoot when you're in that cycle your whole perspective on life changes and you focus more on getting through 1 day

·
Registered
156 Posts
I feel very lucky - i have occasional flare ups. am in the middle (I hope) of one now that isnt too bad at the mo but could go either way. I am beggining to feel like, although its not as bad as some get it, I will have to have this all the time - i dont feel its bad enbough to bother my GP about and I have no idea really what causes it - i know mine is strongly stress realated but then even when i am not stressed at all it pops up..and i can be careful about what i eat and it will flare up and then if i eat loads of naughties it will be ok...can't i just get a new stomach?!!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.