Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi... been a while since I've visited here. Reason being that I was doing pretty well. Most of this year my stomach has behaved pretty well and in the last 3 or so months I've lived a normal life and loved it. I had a great holiday (vacation
) and came back refreshed.Last week it all went to pieces. It came on over the course of about 3 days - I started getting pain in my lower abdomen. The pain came and went a bit, but would often end with extreme urgency for the toilet. My stools were loose and smelled of vomit (sorry for the gross description, figure we're all used to it). Since then I've done the normal IBS-thing - totally locked down my diet, drink plenty of water, cut out stuff like caffeine blah blah. But I'm still bad. I started taking Colpermin, the peppermint capsules. I thought I was getting better yesterday but this morning I was bad again, and when I went to the toilet I managed to pass the whole Colpermin tablet - totally untouched! This has freaked me out. My bowel movements have changed, too, though you'd think for the better (they now sink, they always used to float...).Bear in mind in the past I've had every single test western medicine can think of and nothing is ever clinically wrong. I do have a slightly damaged bile duct but the GI doc said it was fine. I have been diagnosed with IBS. What's freaking me is that IBS attacks are usually instant, they don't come on over a few days.Have Doctors appointment on Monday but, as with so many on here, I don't have much faith in them and fully expect it'll just be written off as IBS.Sound like a flare-up to you guys? Or an infection? No fever I guess.Cheers all - Richard

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Yeah Richard could just be a flare up and your Dr may say this is IBS because... unfortunately this IS the nature of IBS. It can flare up..with varying symptoms and take varying amounts of time to clear up. It may take several different treatments working in concert to manage symptoms. And of course... IBS can change... in that two flare-ups may not be exactly the same.. you know what I mean? I seriously doubt you have an infection... so I would try to relax as getting stressed may actually make you feel worse.Hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, figures. Guess I sort of forgot what a flare-up is like, been a while since I had a big one. Always get a little worried that my digestive system is clearly not working and food is going straight through - makes a mockery of the term "functional disorder" in my opinion.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Well actually "Functional Disorder" doesn't refer to whether or not WE can function with it. It actually refers to nothing actually being "seen" to be wrong on diagnostics. Hence all tests come back "normal".Hey! I'm GLAD you forgot...
It is GOOD to hear someone going so long without any problems! Hope you get through this and have another good looooong symptom free time again!Feel better!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey! I'm GLAD you forgot...
It is GOOD to hear someone going so long without any problems! Hope you get through this and have another good looooong symptom free time again!Feel better!
I was due it, had a nightmare year last year when I seemed to be in a state of permanent flare-up. Hope I don't go back to that.I was on mirtazapene, an anti-depressant, on and off this year. It certainly seems to make a dramatic difference to my stomach. It just unfortunately appeared to cause some other side-effects I wasn't happy about so I came off them.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Sinking vs floating usually just indicates how much gas is trapped in them. One isn't necessarily healthy and the other diseased.When I take probiotics I have a lot less gas and that makes them dense enough to sink.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts