Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started with IBS-D Spring 2018. It only lasted a few days then it disappeared! I'd had a couple of little warnings in the late summer and Autumn 2017 but didn't think much of them and they were well spaced out events where I had to more or less dash to the toilet first thing in the morning.
After the spring 2018 thing my gut was fine right up until early March 2020 when it started again. I couldn't trace anything that started it.
I had a really healthy diet at the time. I had a little stress occasionally with some work I was doing but I'd had stresses before and not got gut problems.

3 stool tests were normal: calprotectin, lactoferrin and blood traces.
Blood test was normal except for a slight electrolyte imbalance (the lab didn't say what....too much or too little?)
The doctor respected my wishes of not wanting a colonoscopy UNLESS some red flags were found in the blood and stool tests. They weren't.
He said I have IBS.
I get lower belly bloating, mushy stool (5 or 6 on the Bristol stool scale) No pain really but discomfort. I also get very shaky when it happens and my energy drains very badly. It makes me cry from the bottom of my heart for some reason. And I always am a fairly optimistic person.

I am now 68 . I'd never had IBS in my life, except for some short lived bouts of constipation at times, relieved the next morning by a high-fiber dinner and an apple or carrot the night before.

Spring 2020 through to now.... IBS-D is always with me. I have had some periods of time with normal stool; sometimes days, sometimes 3 or 4 weeks. I believe it's gone away at those times. I have tried the fodmap diet. Some low fodmap foods help I think, but if it's a "flare time" even those go straight through me .
During easier times, I have more or less stuck to low fodmaps, except have tested out high fodmaps as well, and that went successfully with no symptoms!

But suddenly a small flare would come. It didn't usually last long, perhaps a few days with one bad day and the others so-so re: the gut.

I had a good way of managing that always worked and had adjusted to it okay.

Then in April this year after a long period (2 weeks) with normal belly I had two very very bad flare ups like I hadn't had before. Then I had a long period with no symptoms! followed by a bit of an up and down time but nothing serious. But since end of July I have had two more very very bad flares indeed with diarrhea. They drive me out of bed in the morning and the whole day is torture.
Still no pain, no blood, no undigested food and stool is normal colour etc.
The flares are getting worse, and it's difficult to see a doctor also here.

I don't want drugs. I take herbs and homeopathy which helped and manuka honey. I really felt all those things straightening me out and giving me more time symptom free! Now they don't work

I feel so alone with it. It's horrible. My hunger is normal and yet I'm scared of eating. Even dry white toast goes straight through me this morning

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am 57 year old female I had my gallbladder out when I was 30/31 I have IBSC I use to have IBSD I work 12 hour shifts always tired always in the bathroom been to 3 physicians nothing is working I am now thinking of going on a liquid diet for as long as I can everything goes through me I am always hungry and bloated. I have an appointment with a nutritionist tomorrow I have hoping she can help. I am tired of living like this.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well...all through August it was touch and go with the IBS-d. With four bad flare ups. Then all of a sudden it stopped. I have no idea why. Just like it stopped in May through to August!
The downside to that is it always makes me feel it's gone away, when everything is quite normal again! I can never trace any triggers, that either make me flare, or make it stop. And I keep a strict food diary. Not a clue.

Desperate, I do hope the nutritionist will help you. I think she might be able to. Post back with updates.
Sadly that isn't an option for me. Haven't the money to go private and NHS have gone a bit weird at the moment....ever since Covid. Some things not available on NHS.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You should speak to a gastroenterologist about microscopic colitis. Your symptoms, sex and age of onset more or less match the typical presentation. Treatment is pretty straightforward, basically a pill that is a locally acting steroid with very few if any systemic side effects.
I tried one of the meds (didn't do anything for me) called Entocort, I'm a side effect magnet but couldn't say anything bad about this medication.

Good luck!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well...all through August it was touch and go with the IBS-d. With four bad flare ups. Then all of a sudden it stopped. I have no idea why. Just like it stopped in May through to August!
The downside to that is it always makes me feel it's gone away, when everything is quite normal again! I can never trace any triggers, that either make me flare, or make it stop. And I keep a strict food diary. Not a clue.

Desperate, I do hope the nutritionist will help you. I think she might be able to. Post back with updates.
Sadly that isn't an option for me. Haven't the money to go private and NHS have gone a bit weird at the moment....ever since Covid. Some things not available on NHS.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I spoke to the Nutritionist today she was great they are expensive she is affordable I have to buy less food to be able to afford her I am hoping to only have to go once a month my medical insurance does not pay for any of this. It was recommended that I have oatmeal bananna and peanut butter in the morning for breakfast then have chicken or fish rice and beans and any vegetables that are not triggers. I am allowed to have certain protein bars twice a day as long as I choose the bars that are healthy only snack I can have is pretzels. This is doing a job on me I am drained and always tired very hard to work with this illness. Thank you for caring.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts