Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone commented on flax seed versus flax oil. I have tried both, and the flax seed is far better. I noticed a difference within a couple days. It makes me go to the bathroom on a more regular basis, and even just going is good enough for me. It might cause some discomfort though, or you may definatly feel it working. I know I feel everything pass through me, and it is very painful. Hope it works for everyone else.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Make sure the flax seed is ground. It provides the same anount of fiber either way. I found the kind you buy in the bag can be quite course. I bought a coffee grinder and grind my own that way I can get it finer. Also you are supposed to refrigerate the seed after the package is open, If you are taking flax seed or any other kind of bulk forming product make sure to drink gallons of water the water is what makes the products expand to produce a fuller stool. Wow I can't believe I am writing all this stuff I am not a medical person or anything but I am pretty sure this is accurate information------------------��-whereever you go there you are

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Stol and hmmmmmmm, I too use flax-the ground meal. It is very fine and I do refrigerate it too. I found it even more helpful than the metamucil and citricil I used to take. I feel much better about taken something more natural, rather than processed. It's always nice when I don't have to support the pharmaceutical companies who charge outrages prices-especially for something that should be so natural like fiber! I actually think I felt less bloated taking the flax than that other stuff too. I like the nutty flavor better but the texture is a little different. Just so others know, don't try just mixing it in liquids- it's best mixed in with something of puree consistency and then following it with lots of liquid.------------------

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi MoldieThank you for sharing. I agree flax seed itself has made a huge difference. I do however prefer it in liquid, I don't know I just do. I put it in tea, it isn't bad. I don't like the consistency, or taste for that matter, and have tried it with food, and I just seem to like it in tea.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have used the flax oil. Don't see where it helps that much. Was wondering if the flax seed could be added to baked good since someone said not to add to liquid? that way you could have you cookies and flax too.Maybe not??HECK IS WHERE PEOPLE GO WHO DON'T BELIEVE IN GOSH

·
Registered
779 Posts
I eat the Red River cereal and it has flax seeds in it and have been regular as long as I eat it 5 days/week. I have put flax seeds in bran muffin and it didnt taste too bad, you can buy bread that has flax seeds in it too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are a couple of sites on the internet that provide recipes for ground flax seeds: things like bread and pancakes and I think a oj protein drink too. I can't remember the site name right now, but if you just search under FLAX SEEDS you'll come up with a few.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
where can I get flax seed? does it have any other names? I went into a health food shop yesterday and asked for it and the woman looked at me like I was very odd and then said Oh lynseeds? No I don't have any at the moment!!It sounds good, could i put it in rice pudding or custard? How much should I use - if I ever find it!!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Gee I get in the health food store it usually refrigerated. There is a grocery store near me that sells the whole seeds too.Ask your store to order it for you if they don't carry it.------------------��-whereever you go there you are

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GNC, those nutrition stores found in almost any mall, has a whole line of flax seed products. I was checking them out the other day, but decided to continue with my bran regime for a while. Does flax work better than wheat bran or is it equivalent? Bran works well for me, but I'm getting bored with all my recipes.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi SquirrelyI find flax seed better than bran. It made a huge difference. I have become more regular on flax seed, the seed itself. There is oil and capsules, but for me, the seed is the best. Ground up. It's nice to have a little more regularity, lol.

·
Registered
211 Posts
HiI just saw in a search that flaxseed is also called linseed. Is there a reason the flaxseed should be finely ground? The stuff I got is kind of coarse. So far Ive only used it once, but so far so good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.