Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a 33 year old female who has suffered from IBS since I've been a teenager. I have IBS (constipation and diarrhea), but mostly constipation. The D only flares up on occastion. I am one of those unlucky people who gets more constipated from taking Metamucil or Citrucel - even with tons of water. Miralax works great for me, but I don't want to take a prescription medicine all the time, so I thought I would give something natural a try. I heard about flax seeds and oil and though I'd give them a try.I started taking two tablespoons of ground flax seeds on my whole wheat toast in the morning plus one capsule of flax oil in the morning and one in the evening (both with meals - apprently it works better with meals) and I have the SAME results, even BETTER, than I did with the Miralax!Every morning, like clockwork, I am having BMs!! I have been for over a week. I can't believe how good it's working. It's like a miracle, I wish I had started taking it earlier. I had read so many times about flax seeds and how healthy they were, and how they helped with digestive health, but I had no idea how they would affect me.So, I just found this site. But I am trying to spread the word. I am hoping to help as many people as I can who were suffering like I was. If you have had no luck with Metamucil or Citrucel or Fibercon or any of those kind of OTC fiber remedies, then Flax seed or oil just might help you. Apparenly, there is a more concentrated flax oil (not the capsules) that you can get from a health food store that works better than the capsules, but you have to keep it refrigerated. Oh, by the way, you have to keep the ground flax seeds refrigerated once they're opened too.Anyhow, I hope this helps someone out there!JK

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I tried ground flaxseed before but it gave me terrible gas. I think I'll try it again but start with 1 tsp in my oatmeal in the a.m. I'll let you know how it works for me.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've been taking flaxseed oil capsules from the health food store. I went there yesterday looking for ground flaxseed, and all they had was the whole flaxseed, which I figured I could grind in my not-being-used coffee grinder. Well, had to stop at the grocery store for oatmeal and other groceries, and there in the cereal isle was "milled flaxseed", aka ground flaxseed! Now get this: the whole flaxseed in the health food store was $7.99, and the already milled flaxseed at the grocery was $2.99. I sprinkled two tbsp. on my oatmeal this morning, so I don't know yet how well this is going to work, but I'm hopeful.

·
Registered
130 Posts
>>>reporting back on milled flaxseed>>>It works for me! For 3 days now I've added 2 Tbsp. to my morning oatmeal, and for 3 days now I've had a BM about an hour or so after eating. I had already been taking the flaxseed oil caps (3 daily), and Magnesium, too. Maybe the addition of MORE flaxseed, and in this form is all it took for me. Hope this might help someone else.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.