Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

Flex Sig Next Tuesday

493 views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  gt0854a 
G
#1 ·
I am having a flex sig done next Tuesday morning and am now regretting the decision to have it. I think that mostly I am embarrassed and a little bit afraid. I have several friends who have had this done and say that it is nothing and doesn't take long at all. I wanted to get the procedure just to give me more peace of mind, but now I am nervous about it. My doctor does this procedure at our local hospital and not in the office. I just feel apprehensive and need some encouragement. Thanks....

#2 ·
hi soccer mom... me too. Mine is friday, I'll let you know how it goes. I am scared about the clean out procedure and it's aftereffects, the test itself... AND I am beating myself up over the possibilities of "worse" diagnoses... But, I feel like it is something I need for peace of mind.

#4 ·
Hi.. I had one last Friday. In my case they did find mild colitis and swelling of the colon. I have been scheduled for a colonoscopy in 3 weeks. My prep was 2 days of clear liquids and Ducolax on day 1 and Citrate of Magnisia and ducolax on day 2. I also needed 2 enemas the morning of the test. No matter what prep you do you will have to stay close to the bathroom. It wasn't too severe for me. Lucky me I get to do it all again in a couple of weeks. Good luck with your test. It isn't bad at all.

#5 ·
Had one done a couple of months ago. I had to do 2 enemas an hour before the test. It is a flexible instrument that is guided by the Dr. and you get to watch the whole thing on a moniter. It is interesting and not at all painful. Well, perhaps just a bit of discomfort. They are very good about maintaining one's modesty. I was not sedated, and did not need it. It was only a 5 minute procedure. Don't back out, it's not at all bad.

#6 ·
Hi Soccer Mom,If it's not too late and if your insurance will pay for it, and since you have to go to the hospital anyway, I would ask my doctor to do the colonoscopy instead of the flex sig. The flex sig only examines the sigmoid or decending colon..not the whole colon. Lots of times if the flex sig comes out OK, the doctor will want to do the colonoscopy anyway to make sure the whole colon is disease-free, which would mean you will have to go through that awful prep twice. It would be much better to get it all over with in one shot. In my opinion the flex sig is a waste of time and money. Good luck with what ever you decide.P.S. If it is peace of mind you are looking for, the flex sig won't give you that because only a portion of the colon will be examined. The colonscopy will give you 100% peace of mind knowing the whole colon has been examined.------------------"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"Rose[This message has been edited by Rose (edited 03-16-2000).]

#7 ·
You'll be OK, Soccer mom. I had one last month and it is not a big deal when compared to the colonoscopy, which is much more invasive. You should not be in any pain, just discomfort, like you really have to move your bowels. And it only lasts a few minutes. You might want to hang around a little while after the proceedure--because the intestine is shaped a little like an accordion, they have to inflate it a little to get a good look, and all that air has to go somewhere eventually.I was really nervous too, but you'll be OK!

G
#8 ·
Hi soccer mom, I really have to support what Rose is saying about going for the colonoscopy. It will need to be done anyway to ensure your entire colon is O.K. I'm sure either way you will do fine. Jackie

#9 ·
I worried to before I had mine done in Nov. Mine was done in an out-patient clinic that does simple day surgery. They not only did the Flex. Sig. but they also did an endoscopy. They gave me a little shot of something that helped calm me down. I was asleep for the whole thing and didn't wake up until it was all over. I didn't have any discomfort afterwards.The embaressment factor was something that I had as well. What help me get over it was something one of the nurses at the hospital where my father works at said. She works in that area ans she said once you've seen one ass you've seen them all.Best of luckJoanna

#10 ·
I am with Rose, why do it twice, once was bad enough, and you KNOW they will sedate you for the colonoscopy!Love my drugs, forget my proceedures, live happily ever after!Maggie------------------Praying for a cure for this NASTY IBS!

G
#11 ·
I had a flex sig about six months ago and I'm not going to lie to you--it wasn't fun. Mine was done in the hospital and I wasn't sedated (I'm 28--they sometimes sedate older people, so I've heard.) I had a lot of cramping. I've never had a colonoscopy, but if you're over 35, I would consider doing that since they do sedate you.Just don't ever get the upper GI/small bowel. That was the worst. They told me I would have constipation from the barium I had to drink--I had the total opposite reaction. I sat on the toilet for an hour straight. Almost took myself to the hospital.IBS was the diagnosis after all these hellish tests. But at least I know it's not anything else.

G
#12 ·
Hi Soccer mom, I had a flex sig done two weeks ago without a sedative and found it to be pretty easy. I"m a modest person and I had no problem with that part. You will lay on your side and they really don"t expose you much. Besides, Doctor is looking at the TV monitor not your body. I think they have a way of getting that thing in there in one swift move. Good aim, lots of practice!My only pain was a little bit of cramping and boom, before you know it it"s over. I"ve had a colonoscopy also but that was 15 years ago and I"m sure thats probably changed by now.Good luck

#13 ·
Hey soccer mom... I had mine this morning. It was kind of painful, but only for moments and then they'd pass. The good news is that I have a healthy colon. I am now scheduled for a sitzmarker test and another one I can't remember at the moment.I'd say the worst part of the whole adventure was guessing what they'd see before it started
Don't worry, just do it. Mine took about 6 minutes....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.