Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the flu finally decided to pay us a visit, and both my husband and myself have been as sick as DOGS this weekend. He's on day 5 of this terrible thing, and he still sounds horrible. I'm on day 3 and am still feeling like dirt too. I've been taking Sudafed during the day, which (surprisingly) calms my nerves...that was nice!! But it also makes me HYPER...I cleaned this house lickety-split on Friday, LOL!! I was a cleanin' FOOL!!!!!!

G

·
AM,I don't take them as they kick me to the zone. Waste city ya know. Thats probably why you were calmer. Hope you guys feel better soon. And be careful, theres a recall or something on pseudo something I think.Deb------------------Keep moving forward...even if you must crawl.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hi AMC,Sorry to hear you and hubby are sick. My ears always clog up when I get sick like that, too. And I usually lose my voice. What fun! Can't hear or talk! LOL
Cold meds usually make me feel tired, and sometimes light-headed. I don't think I've ever gotten hyper from them. Anyway, take care and feel better soon.
dg

·
Registered
127 Posts
AMcI asked much the same question about cold meds some time back.For me they are a wonderful break from IBS D or G. They infact return me to a normal life and like you I am able to enjoy the simple things.Yes its just the little things like enjoying company and able to go to work and not be uptight because of the worry of the next run to the bathroom etc etc.I beleive it is the drying effect of the medication, it helps with both D & G Can someone help us out here.If it is the drying effect, why do we not have a medication that we can take all the time...........Im sure it is mostly the IBS that makes me up tight along with the fear of it.Oh to be normal.I do not advocate taking flu or cold meds for IBS but I do look forward to the next time I need to for a break from the IBS.Jan8

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi again AMcEXPERTS Please HelpThought someone may have replied to this topic that has pharmaceutical knowledge.This just may be worth a follow up.It could be what all of us D and G people have longed for.For years it has been the only thing that will keep me IBS free.NOTE
Taken for cold or flu only, please do not take just for IBS even though for me its a god send, long term use who knows what it may do) Am I right and its the drying affects.I have tried many many other meds, etc to no avail including fasting for 5 day periods, still the G gets me, very badly.Lets hope.Jan8

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
HI JANBy way of a quick response as I have to run now, in simplest terms there are a lot of potential meds in the colds & flu soups, which are antihistaminic and decongestant (vasoconstrictors like pseudoephedrine for example). Go to the cold preps section and look at the permutations! But in general you have an antihistaminic (which can make you "drowsy" or relaxed as a side effect) and one or more decongestants, some of whose side effects included "stimulation" of the nervous system as they constrict the blood vessels of the mucosa, up to and including stimulating the nerves that cause peristalsis...so one can get relaxed but invigorated as noted, plus find their C turning to regularity or D.There are also such things as sorbitol used as sweeteners in some, which serve as hyperosmolar laxatives. You may also have a sub-emetic dose of guafenisin in some for "clearing the airways" (stimulates the nausea center of the brain at a low level, but increases more production of serous-watery-secretons). Then there are the ones with cough-suppressants like dextromethorphanOY! The beat goes on and on depending which formaulation you buy. Someone will point ou the alcohol as well. Fact of the matter is the precautions are printed too small to read, and often people buy a multi-formulaton which is inappropriate overkill or downright dangerous!Every home should have the Consumer Reports Guide to Drugs or a PDR and read what you are ingesting making sure that is what you want before you open the bottle and ingest! If not take it back and get a firmulation covering JUST what you need. And trying to get the druggist to help in a West Palm Beach drug store is like waiting for the grass to grow...so around here people have to take it on themselves unless they have the patience of Job.If more detail is needed tomorrow when there is time I can go one by one through every drug you might find in there if need be...but gotta runhave a DFEMNL__________ www.leapallergy.com [This message has been edited by Mike NoLomotil (edited 12-12-2000).]

·
Registered
127 Posts
MikeThanks for your information. I mucked up again and my long reply to you went to e-mail heaven. Think I negleted to put in my code, oh well, so here goes 2nd try.Not sure that I have the understanding to work out, study/investigate. Do understand what you mean though about knowing what we take, dangers etc.I feel that if we could find something that will eliminate IBS a small risk would be exceptable, you must agree?Lets face it IBS leaves some of us with major metal health promblems, funny how a lot of our medical friends think its the other way around. That if we didnt have ---this or----that mental problem we wouldnt have IBS, I wish.I believe in getting out there and doing, life is too short not to, regardless of the IBS. If I didnt have IBS oh what joy, even if a cure did reduced my total years it would be worth it. Far better to live some than never live at all.Getting back to the Meds.I take a day/night formulation - for colds and flu only when I have a cold/flu.day 2 x 2 tabsParacetamol 500mg, Pseudoephedrine Hydrochloride 30mg, Codene Phosphate 6mg, also lactose & glutenNocte x 2 tabsParacetamol 500mg, Pseudoephedrine Hydochloride 30mg, Triprolidne hydrochloride 1.25mg Which or whatever it is, it does work.Nothing else ever has, makes me totally IBS free, for these short periods.Is not the sedation if any of the ingreds are sedating, unless it works in a different way to other seditive type meds that I have tried in the past. You name it I have tried it, all to no avail.Jan8

1 - 7 of 7 Posts