Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These days when I drink alcohol I get pain in the left part of my abdomen. Could it be the liver? I am so scared my liver is giving up on me though I have barely drunk in the past eight months. Not that I drank excessively before that. Any ideas?

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Alcohol is bad.I can't drink it anymore.Oh yeah,my liver is fine.Echography normal.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote: I get pain in the left part of my abdomen. Could it be the liver?
What, do you have situs inversus, organs on the wrong side?Liver is on the right (normally). Anyway, I don't know. Why do you think it's connected to alcohol per se? Are you drinking 200 proof or is it part of some other drink, beer, wine?

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No I know the liver is kind of on the right side but it does seem to extend to the left in some diagrams I have seen. I am just not sure how much to the left it extends.Am I drinking 200 proof? No LOL!
It is when I have a gin and tonic that it happens.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm, maybe I have an ulcer in the stomach
since the stomach is on the left side. I hope it is not IBS pain.BTW Happy Valentine's day!

G

·
Bonniei, this is quite interesting. About 4 weeks ago I drank draft beer, I've never had draft beer before so those of you who drink it know it goes down like water and after a few it hits hard. At least that's what it did to me. Well I think it started an IBS attack, a big bloating episode the next evening aggravated it all. I had pain all through the abdomen area and a feeling of something stuck in my lower throat area. So I think maybe some alcohol might cause inflamation or if you have an ulcer cause it to act up. Nexium sure helped with all this and I'll be staying away from the draft beer and stick with what I usually drink.

G

·
Hi Bonniei, does prilosec help heal inflamation or does it just work on the acid part. I know that nexium helps heal plus takes care of the acid part, the acid part wasn't my problem though. I hope it helps you. Linda

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is what I found out on the difference between Nexium annd Prilosex(omeprazole)http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=A...&view=c&_acct=C 000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=b0099d0a1f69c28b58023ba9aeff0883[/URL]From whatI can tell Nexium heals the erosive esophagitis faster than Prilosec.I observed myself tonight. I think it was trapped gas because it passed after a while. Normally I don't have trouble passing gas. I don't even have pain. I don't know if it started in the stomach or the left bowel. But it started in line with the belly button. How would I know if it is the stomach or left bowel? I wonder if there is IBS of the stomach. I know they are talking about functional disorder of the esophagus or duodenum or some upper GI thing as IBS of the upper GI.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I was told by a Doctor at Temple University that there IS ibs of the stomach, but it is very rare.However, he missed two bleeding polyps in my ascending colon by performing only an endoscopy and not a (later performed by a PA hospital doc) colonoscopy, so despite his published papers and national renown, I would take what Temple GI said with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:I was told by a Doctor at Temple University that there IS ibs of the stomach, but it is very rare.
What?

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It would be nice if there was a link for that,Joan, Don't suppose you could ask your doc?.I had gin and tonic yesterday and I didn't panic at the first sign of discomfort. With the result it was relatively painless.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Fortunately or unfortunately, I can drink alcohol, and do, with no ill effects to my IBS-D, alternating C. I use it to calm myself...like anyone I guess..and think I probably do drink more than I should.But- if I remember my anatomy-the descending colon goes down the left side...maybe drinking alcohol for you just gets peristalsis going and you then feel it down there on the last tract of the journey "out".If you are worried about alcohol and your liver, the first thing (probably) would be a blood panel that is very common...looks at liver and kidney function and is, or should be, part of a routine physical exam for an adult. (used to be called a chem 24...I'm sure it's got many labels depending on the lab)If you have IBS though...it's always a #### shoot(ha ha) where and why the feelings below the belt are coming from. The above are my opinions and ideas only...not a medical person.Jeanne

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am terrible at anatomy. I don't know the parts of my body because I can't distinguish between liver and stomach, left stomach and left bowel. II noticed when I first came to the board people used to always talk about bowel problems while the British and hence Indian way of thinking was to call it stomach or tummy troubles. As far as I was comcerned anything below my breasts till the pubic region was stomach. Sometimes I think it is not good to be so aware of the different organs in that region. Perhaps intense focus in that region leads to IBS and hypersensitivity.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
quote:But- if I remember my anatomy-the descending colon goes down the left side...maybe drinking alcohol for you just gets peristalsis going and you then feel it down there on the last tract of the journey "out".
I agree that it could be that. Once I realized it was gas it was easy to ascertain that there was some problem in the transitt. I guess the question iss was it in the stomach or colon because it took a long time for it to pass. Generally when I have gas the time between recognition that there is gas and it passing is a matter of secs.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I am no longer under the care of the Temple Doc. so I can't ask him. I will ask my doc at PA hospital, to whom I've turned, on March 1.flux, I don't understand your "what?" If dyspepsia is related to IBS, why cannot the stomach be related (i.e., acid reflux)

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes exactly joan. What makes the stomach so special that IBS discriminates. After all IBS attacks the upper and lower GI tract , why not the stomach. Aren't there smooth muscles which are all over the body?

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
The "what" was because it dosen't make sense to says IBS of the stomach is "rare".Functionnal dyspeptia is rare?I don't think so.Hi Flux

1 - 20 of 49 Posts