Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on the following thread you corrected me about xylose, but I just pulled about 1000 google references on it proving that i am correct. http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php...ic;f=1;t=035634 By the way here is some interesting info on "essential" sugars..... Harper's Biochemistry, 1996, by Murray et al., lists 8 sugars (in chemical terms, monosaccharides -- a particular group of sugar-carbohydrates), found in human glycoproteins and glycolipids, which are critical for the healthy functioning of all cells of the human body. These sugars are: Galactose, Glucose, Mannose, N-acetylneuraminic acid (sialic acid), Fucose, N-acetylgalactosamine, N-acetylglucosamine, and Xylose . These 8 are just a few of the approximately 200 monosaccharides found in nature. Glucose and galactose are common in the American diet (from table sugar and from dairy products). The others are in shorter supply, in part because of poor diet choices (too few fresh fruits and vegetables) and in part from depleted soils and early agricultural harvesting, allowing nutrition-depleted foods to reach the market place. Scientific research in the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s has shown the importance of these sugars. Without proper amounts of these sugars, or without their proper utilization, various diseases result. One called Carbohydrate Deficient Glycoprotein Syndrome is treated by taking the sugar mannose (see below). Many cancers are inhibited by the glyconutrients in certain mushrooms (see below). Sugars and proteins are combined in glycoproteins ("glyco" is the Greek word for would you like more info?I really do not mind educating you from time to time but please don't make me do it too often.

·
Registered
597 Posts
xyloseNOUN: A white crystalline sugar, C5H10O5, used in dyeing and tanning and in diabetic diets. Also called wood sugar. http://www.bartleby.com/61/10/X0011000.html Xylose tolerance test Definition��� This test measures the intestines' ability to absorb D-xylose, a simple sugar, as an indicator of whether nutrients are being properly absorbed. How the test is performed��� An initial blood and urine sample are taken.Child or adult:Urine collection:Collect a "clean-catch" ("midstream") urine sample. To obtain a clean-catch sample, men or boys should wipe clean the head of the ***** . Women or girls need to wash the area between the lips of the vagina with soapy water and rinse well. As you start to urinate, allow a small amount to fall into the toilet bowl (this clears the urethra of contaminants). Then, in a clean container, catch about 1 to 2 ounces of urine and remove the container from the urine stream. Give the container to the health care provider or assistant.Blood collection:Blood is drawn from a vein (venipuncture), usually from the inside of the elbow or the back of the hand. The puncture site is cleaned with antiseptic, and a tourniquet (an elastic band) or blood pressure cuff is placed around the upper arm to apply pressure and restrict blood flow through the vein. This causes veins below the tourniquet to distend (fill with blood). A needle is inserted into the vein, and the blood is collected in an air-tight vial or a syringe. During the procedure, the tourniquet is removed to restore circulation. Once the blood has been collected, the needle is removed, and the puncture site is covered to stop any bleeding.You are given 25 grams of D-xylose in 8 oz. of water. Blood is collected after 2 hours, and sometimes again after 5 hours. Urine is re-tested after 8 hours. Urine excretion over a 5 hour period is also determined (all of the urine is collected for 5 hours). How to prepare for the test��� Fast for 8 to 12 hours before the test. Consult the health care provider about the need to withhold drugs that can affect test results (see "special considerations").How the test will feel���When the needle is inserted to collect the blood, a stinging sensation or prick will be felt. After the blood has been drawn, the puncture site may throb for a few minutes, and may feel bruised for a day or two.Urine is collected as part of normal urination with no discomfort.Why the test is performed���This test may be performed to help evaluate cases of:* persistent diarrhea * unexplained weight loss * suspected malnutrition* general weakness This test is especially useful to distinguish absorptive problems of the intestines due to intestinal disease versus malabsorption due to disease of the pancreas.Normal Values��� The value varies depending on the amount of D-xylose administered. Usually the test is registered as either positive or negative. Positive indicates that D-xylose is found in the blood and/or urine and is therefore being absorbed by the intestines.blood: 25 to 40 mg/dl 2 hours after ingestionurine: 80 to 95% excreted within 5 hours of ingestionNote: mg/dl = milligrams per deciliter What abnormal results mean��� Lower than normal values may be seen in:* Crohn's disease * Giardia lamblia infestation* hookworm infestation* lymphatic obstruction * radiation enteropathy * small intestinal bacterial overgrowth* celiac disease (sprue) * viral gastroenteritis * Whipple's disease What the risks are��� * excessive bleeding * fainting or feeling lightheaded* hematoma (blood accumulating under the skin)* infection (a slight risk any time the skin is broken)* multiple punctures to locate veinsSpecial considerations���Multiple tests may be necessary to determine the reason for malabsorption (inadequate absorption of nutrients from the intestinal tract).A failure to restrict activity may change test results.Drugs that can affect test results include aspirin, atropine, indomethacin, isocarboxazid, and phenelzine.Veins and arteries vary in size from one patient to another and from one side of the body to the other. Obtaining a blood sample from some people may be more difficult than from others. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003606.htm

·
Banned
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is found in trees BUT it is also FOUND IN HUNDREDS OF OTHER PLANTS. A tree is a "plant" and there are many types of "plants". Many of these "plants" contain xylose.Now, I am off to find the 8 step conversion that our body undertakes to transform glucose into XYLOSE. Because without XYLOSE ----humans are in BIG trouble.************************************
quote: quote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------your body can manufacvture it from glucose.if they find normal levels of xylose in your blood then that rules out a few things--------------------------------------------------------------------------------At least this time your imaginary facts are funny Xylose is wood sugar and it comes from trees!
flux are you sure it is an "imaginary" fact?Can a medical textbook be wrong? How about the 1000's of other references that I have uncovered?

·
Banned
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php...ic;f=1;t=035634 Just so we are clear....my comment that was dismissed was.... xylose is a simple sugar found in some foods like psyllium. also, your body can manufacture it from glucose. your comment...... At least this time your imaginary facts are funny Xylose is wood sugar and it comes from trees! My comment..... what makes you so --------- INCORRECTLY -------- think that it -----ONLY---- appears in trees?????a tree is a plant and xylose shows up in many plants we eat, and the body makes it from glucose. it does so via a complicated 6 to 8 step process. Okay -- i think we can close this topic now..... I really hate to do this to you. But as the saying goes....what goes around comes around. But look on the bright side -------> I taught you something today that you previously did not know!!!

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Talk about art imitating life. You have life imitating your imagination. Maybe consider the legal profession. You'd be better than this guy at it.

·
Banned
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bump----eroni!!!Oh! What a Beautiful MorningThere's a bright golden haze on the meadow,There's a bright golden haze on the meadow,The corn is as high as an elephant's eye,An' it looks like its climbin' clear up to the sky.Chorus:Oh what a beautiful morning,Oh what a beautiful day,I've got a wonderful feeling,Everything's going my way. (hey FLUX, do you care to elaborate on how xtian got that "IMAGINARY" geotrichum yeast organism in his GUT?????

·
Banned
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey i'm in the wrong thread again. Oh well, I'll post my reply to flux here instead.Concerning the 'fatty' deposits that are released from the biliary ducts of the liver, the 1000's of people who have done it --and photographed them-- don't think it is imaginary. {p.s. xylose is a lot more than just "tree sugar"}When the liver is done clearing these cholesterol deposits --or whatever they are-- then the flushes no longer will produce any. this is a fact that doctors are finally starting to accept. it is simply unbelievable that doctors are so clueless about these things.The 'pathology guy' got his butt reamed by everyone for screwing this up also. he tried to weasel his way out of it by stating that "they are not true stones because they are not hard". this translates into, "okay you guys are correct".

·
Banned
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i must have missed your answer on how "x" ended up with that geotrichum yeast organism in his gut --YUCK! the real ones are bad enough but the imaginary ones must be dreadful.do you think it has something to do with some immune system parameters that are too low such as low white blood cells??? I am beginning to think that most of these tests are useless to us "chronically ill" people. --but I do think that a dysfunctional/weak immune system is behind these imaginary critters.

·
Banned
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
flux,remove my name from your signature. Posts by kel1059 may contain false or fabricated information. Be wary. Do we really need this? I mean do we??? Sure, i find it amusing, and I can handle my own self just fine. in fact you usually dig your own grave saving me the trouble.But some of the other people may think that you will also attack them if they post info that has not passed the flux-seal-of-approval.If you choose to leave it then that is fine because I don't really mind. --- especially now that I am at the very center core of the onion. I am on the cusp of having near perfect health (except for these food intolerances). therefore, just knowing that i have just about licked this thing gives me incredible amounts of happiness and joy. you on the other hand will be forever trapped in your negativity and illness.the negative emotions are like acid. they slowly eat the person away. I want you to know that i am predicting a complete mental collapse for you some time in the future. I do not want this to happen to you and i will help you avoid it. all you have to do is ask for my help and i will deliver you to your salvation. a couple of clues: it starts with ego deflation, a giving up of pride, a surrender of self, an embracing of humility....you will eventually have to forgive all those who have tormented you when you were a boy. this will set you free.

·
Banned
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
whoa, wrong thread again. ( hey, i am really not doing this on purpose guys)i want this thread to go away.Mr F knows he made a big goof and it is time to move on.geez, i wonder what other goofs and oversights have been made.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.