Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think each part of the bowel is motility independant(on it's own)or it rely on other part for signaling that movement is needed?Eg;The stomack activate the gastro-reflex.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
There is some indepdendence because people can have GERD, gastroparesis and outlet obstruction each independently. In the case of gastroparesis, the emptying is controlled largely by the vagus nerve, with a lesser role played by intrinsic nerves. The same with outlet obstruction where central nerves play a larger role. But pacemaker in the stomach sets the "pace" for the small bowel, and there is sympathetic cross-talk. The ileal brake is probably mediated by that.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the lesson learned is most of the gut motility activation comes from upstream signaling?Can we state that each portion of the bowel need orders from upstream?Geez.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:Can we state that each portion of the bowel need orders from upstream?
Only four functions1) swallowing2) gastric accommodation (expansion of the stomach to accommodate a meal)3) gastric emptying4) defecation

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you explain #4 before i get confused?I mean who's ordering defecation?Defecation including whip out of the sigmoid/rectal area.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does the colon motility act with independant segmental movement or EVERYTHING move starting from the cecum in one shot?Is it fragmental movement or one big mass movement(in healthy subject)?

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:Can you explain #4 before i get confused?
It's under voluntary control, but that is mediated via the the sacral portion of the parasympathetic nervous system.
quote:Does the colon motility act with independant segmental movement or EVERYTHING move starting from the cecum in one shot?
Colonic motility is complex. The colon does appear to have its own pacemaker functionality as that article describes and hence its own migrating motor complex. The colon has all four basic movement types: peristalsis, retroperistalsis, segmentation and power propulsion (aka giant migrating contractions). The migrating motor complex uses giant migrating contractions to make mass movements of stool from one section of the colon to the next.Looking at stool in the colon, it appears all liquid in the cecum and gets "pasty" by the time it is ithe transverse colon. Presumably, the actuall shaping (rolling the dough effect [my thinking], takes place in the descending colon. That is probably mediated by segmentation contractions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.