Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Flux,Happy New Year. Quick question for you. You know my symptoms as I have asked you many questions over the years. I was told again that I had e. histolytica. I took a 14 day course of humatin and recently tested negative. My doc is not alternative so the finding is real. He tells me that e. histolytica is only sympatmatic in 10 to 20 percent of people. So I'm guessing this is an incedental finding since my symptoms are the same. I was hoping that the inflamation that they found at the terminal ileum was from the histolytica but I suppose I am reaching. Here are my questions:1. Do you think crohns could actually be histolytica since they said my inflammation was not typical of crohns? And maybe my gut just needs more time to heal from histolytica?2. Have you ever studied Wellbutrin. Seems like it may be the perfect med for me. If I understand correctly, it acts like a tricyclic antidepresent which could help the gut. Also reducing anxiety, can help the gut. Most importantly it was just shown in a pilot study to reduce TNF levels(i think that is what it is called) just like remicade and humira. So if I am dealing with Crohns it could be treating the inflammation.What do you think? Chasing a red herring or worth a try? Also, why do you think a low fructose diet and probiotics help me so much. Could it be that there is something to bad bacteria, overgrowth of bacteria, dysbiosis, candida, actually contributing to/or causing gut problems. I always appreciate your thoughts.Thanks,Pete

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:1. Do you think crohns could actually be histolytica since they said my inflammation was not typical of crohns?
I think whatever it is you have is very atypical, so it's probably not either Crohn's or amebiasis.
quote:. If I understand correctly, it acts like a tricyclic antidepresent which could help the gut.
I'm not sure how that is of much utility here. Those drugs are intended to deal with the brain-gut axis, increased pain sensitivity, none of which seems related to your case.
quote:So if I am dealing with Crohns it could be treating the inflammation.
I think budesonide would be most appropriate, but didn't you already try that.
quote:Also, why do you think a low fructose diet and probiotics help me so much
This could be inicidental. You just happen to have fructose malabsorption and active gut bacteria on top of an underlying pathology. Are they still helping? Since consuming probiotics and less fructose is probably very safe, you can probably continue on this course indefinitely.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts