Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I fasted for 2 days to prep for my barium enema, by the time the test came, I felt GREAT! No more pain, cramping, bloating, or gas, that I always have on a daily basis. This would indicate that the gas is from bacteria, right? Also, I had the test in the morning, and resumed eating right afterwards, and still felt great the rest of the day. Would that be because the food hadn't reached the problematic point in my body, or because I hadn't eaten the troublesome food again yet? If it is bacteria, what do you recommend for treatment? OTC products like beano and Gax-X do nothing. Is there something I should take (cultrelle, probiotics) or something I should eliminate (carbs, gluten, but please tell me this doesn't necessarily mean it's Celiac!)Thanks,Susan

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Limiting starches other than rice may be helpful with overall gas production. Also avoiding foods high in sorbitol (apples, pears, peaches, prunes/plums and apricots), raffinose (beans and cabbage), lactose (milk and many processed foods) or fructose (particularly high fructose corn syrup) may help. I don't know if you would need to limit all of them, as some may be more bothersome than others for any given individual. Probiotics can reduce gas production for people with IBS as these bacteria don't produce gas from carbohydrates. Probiotica brand has help lower my fart frequency.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Limiting starches other than rice may be helpful with overall gas production. Also avoiding foods high in sorbitol (apples, pears, peaches, prunes/plums and apricots), raffinose (beans and cabbage), lactose (milk and many processed foods) or fructose (particularly high fructose corn syrup) may help. I don't know if you would need to limit all of them, as some may be more bothersome than others for any given individual. Probiotics can reduce gas production for people with IBS as these bacteria don't produce gas from carbohydrates. Probiotica brand has help lower my fart frequency.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote: This would indicate that the gas is from bacteria, right?
It does sound that way.
quote:Would that be because the food hadn't reached the problematic point in my body
It's a bit ambiguous. Food moves through fast enough that it should have had an effect within several hours. So the other alternative is that what you ate produced very little gas (e.g, rice). Another possibility is that you actually had gas but didn't realize it because you had no other symptoms (e.g, typical fluctuation of the condition).Ideally, you want to have a very detailed objective recording of every symptom, etc befoe drawing firm conclusions.------------------I am not a doctor, nor do I work for profit in the medical/pharmacological field, but I have read scientific and medical texts, and have access to numerous sources of medical information that are not readily available to others. One should always consult a medical professional regarding advice received.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote: This would indicate that the gas is from bacteria, right?
It does sound that way.
quote:Would that be because the food hadn't reached the problematic point in my body
It's a bit ambiguous. Food moves through fast enough that it should have had an effect within several hours. So the other alternative is that what you ate produced very little gas (e.g, rice). Another possibility is that you actually had gas but didn't realize it because you had no other symptoms (e.g, typical fluctuation of the condition).Ideally, you want to have a very detailed objective recording of every symptom, etc befoe drawing firm conclusions.------------------I am not a doctor, nor do I work for profit in the medical/pharmacological field, but I have read scientific and medical texts, and have access to numerous sources of medical information that are not readily available to others. One should always consult a medical professional regarding advice received.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts