Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Flux,I know you know my case. Well it has gotten weirder. I had a colonoscopy which showed crohns/colitis. I went to Mt. Sinai and they confirmed diagnosis. They say I have asymptamatic crohns that is not related to my upper GI problems. I know a doc at UCLA and sent him my biopsies. He concurred but said that my biopsies are not typical of crohns and told me to get tested for a bug called yersinia. Well I was negative for yersinia but positive for e. histolytica. This is the 3rd time they found histolytica over the years. I have tried flagyl, doxycycline, and humatin. How do I still have this bug? Could this ameba be mimicking crohns? Is it possible I dont in fact have crohns. UCLA isn't sure. They want to think about it and see the written report. What is your opinion? Also do you think histolytica could be the cause of my upper GI problems? ThanksPete

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:positive for e. histolytica. This is the 3rd time they found histolytica over the years.
What exactly was the nature of test?
quote:How do I still have this bug?
if the test was for antibodies, I think it could still be positive since the body holds on these after the pathogen has passed. I also suppose it conceivable that one could have a antibiotic-resistant strain of it that is also chronic. There is a case report in the literature of a woman who had chronic CMV (cytomegalovirus) iinfection of the stomach for a long time. It damaged her stomach nerves. Since that could happen and that is very unsual, it adds plausibility to your situation.
quote:Could this ameba be mimicking crohns? Is it possible I dont in fact have crohns. UCLA isn't sure.
Crohn's is diagnosed through inspection of the biopsy so I suppose it is also possible for something to mimic it. It�s not a smoking gun diagnosis where there is a specific marker that means Crohn's and only Chrohn's.
quote:Also do you think histolytica could be the cause of my upper GI
I think it would be weird, but that doesn't mean it's impossible.I think another post: http://www.ibsgroup.org/cgi-local/ubbcgi/u...t=000576#000001 meant to ask you about your problem...

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
flux,The test was done by a Dr. Kevin Cahill in NYC. You ever hear of him? It is a quick sigmoidoscopy where they take a biopsy. He says stool testing is unreliable. He actually cultures the bug. Do you know anyone who specializes in parasitic infection in NYC. I was just told by a GI not to worry about it because e. histolytica is rarely a pathogen that causes any trouble. Thanks

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote: The test was done by a Dr. Kevin Cahill in NYC. You ever hear of him?
No.
quote: It is a quick sigmoidoscopy where they take a biopsy. He says stool testing is unreliable. He actually cultures the bug.
It sounds thorough.
quote:Do you know anyone who specializes in parasitic infection in NYC.
No, but your most likely bet is a doctor who studies opportunistic infections in AIDS. That's because parasitic infections are common in people who have AIDS.
quote: I was just told by a GI not to worry about it because e. histolytica is rarely a pathogen that causes any trouble.
Dare this person to consume just a little contaminated food. Then see. Did you actually get to talk to this Dr. Cahill? It would seem he have some thoughts on your situation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.