Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To Flux (and for the benefit of others to read):What was the results of your antibiotic therapy to eliminate your excessive gas?Has your case been published in a journal? If so, provide us the references.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:What was the results of your antibiotic therapy to eliminate your excessive gas? Has your case been published in a journal?
There is very little in the literature on excess gas. Apparently because it is not studied much and because it is a rare problem. Most people complaining of excess gas appear to have a normal amount. In addition, if a person truly had excess it doesn't automatically mean that bacteria are behind it.A study done last year claimed to discover that IBS is actually a case of misdiagnosed bacterial overgrowth for which antibiotics which were hailed as a therapy. However, there were multiple flaws with the study. I don't think the subjects complained of excess gas and the data provided in the didn't directly indicate that they had any excess.Pete has mentioned his case here and I guess you are asking about him. He appears to really have exces gas which appears to come from bacterial fermentation. He appeared to improve from antibiotics temporarily and also from taking a probiotic called VSL#3.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
quote:There is very little in the literature on excess gas. Apparently because it is not studied much and because it is a rare problem. Most people complaining of excess gas appear to have a normal amount. In addition, if a person truly had excess it doesn't automatically mean that bacteria are behind it.
How did you know that you had a bacterial growth in your intestines?I'm specifically alluding to your USENET post as archived by Google Groups:Antibiotics for Gut Sterilization http://shorterlink.com/?AAM958 crossreferencing:Flatulence and Antibiotics http://shorterlink.com/?231VS5 To Thomas Orlando (Was Re: Antibiotics for Gut Sterilization) http://shorterlink.com/?0I6X2N Note: you asked me about my "bad gas" [sic] and in your own words it would translate to a gas problem that is "very severe"
quote:pete has mentioned his case here and I guess you are asking about him. He appears to really have exces gas which appears to come from bacterial fermentation. He appeared to improve from antibiotics temporarily and also from taking a probiotic called VSL#3.
I was asking about you, and I clearly indicated it by addressing your handle.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:How did you know that you had a bacterial growth in your intestines?
There is no easy means of determining one has bacterial overgrowth in the small bowel. However, determining it is present in the colon is probably easier since it would result in very high hydrogen peaks in breath testing.There is only one documented case of a person having this situation..http://www4.infotrieve.com/newmedline/deta il.asp?NameID=7729649&loggedusing=M&Session=&SearchQuery=pneumatosis+AND+hydrogen&count=17[/URL]That person had bacterial ovegrowth in the lining of the intestine which is a condition called pneumatosis cystoides intestinalis.That person had been treated (at least temporarily) with antibiotics. After that, the person died..but I don�t know if it had been connected with the condition or not.There was another individual who had documented "bad" bacteria, which resulted in excess gas.. http://www4.infotrieve.com/newmedline/deta...ulence&count=29 but that person apparently was able to alter the condition through a dietary regimen and was not reported to ever having tried antibiotics.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Once again, I was asking about your case flux. Apparently you are evasive when it comes to questioning yet you are pedantic when it comes to questioning others for responses.

·
Registered
644 Posts
skinny, what Stace said is true. Flux does not experience these things, but it is so amusing to watch him skirt around every issue he is asked about. I am sorry you couldn't get a straight answer.Lisa

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If flux never had IBS or a gas problem, then he is a liar. [edit: I meant to say if he never claimed to have...]If you click on links that I provided, it will redirect you to some posts flux aka "Maurice Volaski" made on the Usenet group alt.support.ibsIf you dig into the Google Groups archive, you'll find that he rarely comments on himself and rarely solicits advice. Perhaps those few moments were a slip up in his personality which I find rather amusing.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I have known flux from way back on the other IBS message boards. And yes he does have a gas problem but he does not talk about much and never did. But I was in a chat room once with Dr. Salt and several members of the board, & flux was asking the Dr. ??'s. about it.So yes he does have a problem, same as we do. Guess he just doesn't want to share it with us.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's all fine and dandy if someone doesn't want to talk about their problems. It just smacks me as ironic when he asks poignant personal questions and expects a clear cut answer, yet it doesn't happen the other way around.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Steven asks: Is this true? Flux doesn't have IBS? Why would he read this board? I wish I didn't have to read this board ! *** Have you ever heard of trolling? LOL. I caught it from Day 1. It's funny. I have a friend who loves to do it on a childfree board we are on. She posts a topic or answers a question evasively and sits back and watches the posts fly around her. It's always interesting to see who will take the bait.I suspect that when people start ignoring The Troll he will go on to fresh trolling grounds.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Hmm, that's interesting. That makes his answers much worse then. I mean, I can understand wanting to research whatever you can about it and see if you can figure out what's going on, since it doesn't always feel like the doctors know. And to share that knowledge is great as well, as he does, BUT I must say that the Flux on that board sounds very much like us, the Flux on this board doesn't come across as a sufferer.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I suppose that I'm very naive. It wouldn't have occurred to me that someone would be lurking in a BB devoted to a disorder that, at least for me, has been the bane of my existence.I looked at the USENET links. The name of the software company that the writer wrote from has to be more than coincidental. And the writing style is very similar. Very often, you can never know why people do anything that they do. I suppose that this is one of those cases. But it is strange nonetheless.Steven

·
Registered
650 Posts
I don't really give a rats whether flux has IBS or not. He seems to be pretty well educated in areas that most of us aren't. Also he posts answers of some sort to complicated questions. Most of the old-timers on this board respect Flux's advice. Keep an open mind...we're just learning here and need to look at all aspects and possibilities for some sort of relief.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Rene, while flux doesn't share his problems with us he does help with information that he has read up on, or found out thru his own experience.He spends to much time on these boards not to have an IBS problem. namely gas. Guess he is not a complainer. Me I like to come here and unload my complaints about how life with a gas problem is. Helps me to know I am not the only one.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.