Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
I happen to read the Arthritis Today magazine but I don't recall anything off the top of my head that says it might be...This website seems to be a decent source of info on this condition... http://cerebel.com/lupus/overview.htm

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
I happen to read the Arthritis Today magazine but I don't recall anything off the top of my head that says it might be...This website seems to be a decent source of info on this condition... http://cerebel.com/lupus/overview.htm

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great, I'll check out the site. I recall reading somewhere some time ago that a few medical researchers suspected the underlying cause to be of viral origin. Since I just started working for a lupus patient, my imagination started getting the better of me. Anyway, thanks again.JR

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great, I'll check out the site. I recall reading somewhere some time ago that a few medical researchers suspected the underlying cause to be of viral origin. Since I just started working for a lupus patient, my imagination started getting the better of me. Anyway, thanks again.JR

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I dunno if there is any firm evidence linking autoimmune diseases (like Lupus) with particular infections (and most of the organisms I've heard of being looked at tend to be ones that are common in non-effected people as well).Usually for an autoimmune disease the main issue is do you have a genetic background that makes it easier than usual for you to get them. Everyone has a slightly different set of immune signal genes, and certain sets of these are associated with getting autoimmune diseases.SOMETHING triggers the immune system to start attacking the body. What that something is, is likely common and widespread (as these diseases tend to be widespread and not all that rare). We don't really know what that something is. Viral infections are one of the somethings that they look at, but this isn't a straight forward kind of get a virus get the disease kind of thing like the flu would be. It's more of a suseptible person is in wrong place at wrong time and immune system kinks the wrong way kind of thing.Unfortunately some of the symptoms of lupus are things that are common, and it is fairly common for people to start noticing symptoms that they are looking for. K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I dunno if there is any firm evidence linking autoimmune diseases (like Lupus) with particular infections (and most of the organisms I've heard of being looked at tend to be ones that are common in non-effected people as well).Usually for an autoimmune disease the main issue is do you have a genetic background that makes it easier than usual for you to get them. Everyone has a slightly different set of immune signal genes, and certain sets of these are associated with getting autoimmune diseases.SOMETHING triggers the immune system to start attacking the body. What that something is, is likely common and widespread (as these diseases tend to be widespread and not all that rare). We don't really know what that something is. Viral infections are one of the somethings that they look at, but this isn't a straight forward kind of get a virus get the disease kind of thing like the flu would be. It's more of a suseptible person is in wrong place at wrong time and immune system kinks the wrong way kind of thing.Unfortunately some of the symptoms of lupus are things that are common, and it is fairly common for people to start noticing symptoms that they are looking for. K.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.