Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going away for a long weekend on friday and im nervous, its bad enough that im not a huge fan of planes but i find when i go on planes my symptoms get so much worse and actually makes me feel quite ill, as im going away for so short period of time i need some tips as i cant affford to be ill!!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hi majicfish-firstly I'd make sure I got up early to get through the "morning rush". When that's done then take some imodium or similar. Take all your meds in handluggage-don't put them in the hold just in case your bags get lost. Get to the airport in plenty of time so there is no added anxiety. There are always plenty of loos at the airport so no worries there. If poss then take an aisle seat and keep an eye on toilet vacancy lights. Walking up and down the aisle will ease your anxiety. There are usually plenty of loos at arrivals so I'm sure you will be fine. Take baby wipes with you just in case and relax and enjoy your trip! I get into a real panic when I have to attend early morning meetings etc but am fine at airports cos there are always loos everywhere.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My boyfriend lives in another city (so I have to take airplanes to see him). Flying can sometimes be a nightmare, especially with IBS. In the past, I used to take laxatives to clear out my system, so I'd be ready the day of the flight -- but I can't do that anymore. Since I have ulcers/GERD in addition to IBS, I have to be highly careful. Instead, I make sure that I drink plenty of water in the days before to clear up my system. The day before the flight, I avoid heavy meals (like with breads, dairy, deep fried foods). I really wish Immodium worked for my IBS -- but unfortunately, it doesn't do anything for me.I also carry an extra bottle of water with me. (But be careful to ditch your water before you go through airport security.) Last time, I forgot mine and was pulled over for special screening LOL. The water is useful for two reasons, to flush out the system and to take any tummy relievers I have on hand (like Alka Seltzer, etc;)I'm also guilty of carrying a Nyquil or Benadryl or two on hand, to calm me down completely so my IBS symptoms don't flare up because of stress.P.S. -- be sure that you have a small snack (extremely small) in the morning, if you can handle it. Even though my IBS flares with foods and stress, it also flare when I don't eat anything at all.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I used to live in Northern Canada, so doing anything out of the ordinary meant a long flight to Vancouver. I would always book an afternoon flight so that I would get my morning mess and my after lunch bm out of the way before boarding. Obviously, I always picked an aisle seat, as well. Since I didn't take any meds, I just had to schedule around how my body would "normally" function. It worked pretty well for the five years I lived with IBS up there.Mark

·
Registered
18 Posts
My first flight ever was international and was miserable. I was already nervous and had an upset system then to deal with turbulence for the entire flight. Since it was a night flight most passengers were sleeping so I was able to have the bathroom to myself without any problems. I did have explain to the absolutely wonderful flight crew why I was coming out of the bathroom covered in sweat. One of the crew had a friend that also has IBS so it was nice to know I wasn't going to be turned over to the air marshal. I had taken snacks and tea with me so I was able to get hot water from the flight crew to help keep my stomach calm. My return flight home, I spoke to the flight crew about my "special needs" and they were extremely helpful. Then last year when we flew I had food poisoning the day before which didn't help, but I took Imodium and kept mixing Citrucel up with juice or water to keep my stomach filled with something. That worked so well that I repeated it on the flight back and I had no problems.The big thing I found that when I was in Greece was that they don't flush the toilet paper, it goes into a garbage can so I was a bit nervous if I had an attack the cleaning staff would know. I did not have any problems with the toilets although we ran into quite a few pay toilets while visiting the tourist sites so keep change handy. I also found that while on vacation I was more relaxed so that seemed to help reduce the severity of any of the problems I did have. I did manage to make sure that I ate sensible each meal and had a few snacks with me just in case and my meds never left my side...again just in case. Hope that helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.