Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

FMT for Colonic Inertia Log

6K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  annie7 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Background Information

Since i was around 10 years old, i have had 1-2 complete bowel movements (BMs) a week. They were formed and at the time i did not know i had a problem. When i went overseas i would however develop SEVERE constipation.

In 2014 i took clandamycin for a tooth infection and this totally paralyzed my large and small intestine. Ever since that course i have had very bad motility. I was cured on a very high dose of Berberine but relapsed when stopping, so i know the issue is the microbiome. I later discovered that this antibiotic has a warning on the label that it can cause C.Diff infections.

According to the Centre of Digestive Diseases:

http://www.cdd.com.au/pages/disease_info/constipation.html

This is why i have included Vancomycin into my preparation, as the cause of my constipation is very likely to be clostridium.

I have an FMT donor who has passed a PCR stool test and blood tests. In a few weeks i will be following this protocol.

Fecal Microbiota Transplant Protocol

Dysbiosis Eradication Days 0-14:

-Rifaximin: 500mg Twice Daily
-Vancomycin: 125mg Twice Daily
-Lactoferrin: 500mg Twice Daily

Bowel flush Day 22-23:
-Castor Oil Oral

Fecal Transplants Day 24 and Beyond:
-Start administering fecal infusions every 1-4 days, adjusting the dose and time frame depending on response, side effects and logistics.

Steps:

1. Mix fresh stool into distilled water and use a blender or zip lock bag to combine, making 250ml of not too thick or thin solution. Strain.

2. Pour solution into enema bag.

3. Attach the rectal catheter to the enema tube and apply liberal amounts of lubricant.

4. Gently insert into the rectum without forcing anything.

5. Slowly flow the solution into the colon.

6. Now massage the abdomen to spread the solution around the colon. Take turns of lying on different sides of your body to ensure thorough application.

7. Retain for up to 24 hours if possible.

8. If constipation is an issue use a very low volume water enema.

Closing Comments:
I will keep this thread updated at least weekly with my progress, and i hope many can benefit from it. I have a host of other health problems but i decided to keep them out as this log is purely about my gastrointestinal ailments, however if i see improvements in other areas i will be sure to chime in

See less See more
#2 ·
Update:

I have completed 2 weeks of the antibiotics with no effects. Yesterday i drank castor oil in the morning and did enemas at night. I am doing the same again today. I am currently on a liquid only diet consisting of 2-3L of green juice and 1L of carrot juice. I also take cod liver oil, bee pollen and a few other superfoods. I had to switch to a liquid diet due to developing some sort of gastric inflammation from eating too much spicey food and taking high doses of betaine HCL. I know that flora needs fiber to grow so i am upset about this, but i am hoping after a few weeks of avoiding gastric irritants i can go back onto my diet.

Tomorrow morning i do the first FMT. I am currently on pure liquids as i want my colon as empty as possible. I feel the first FMT is the most important

#6 ·
Did my first FMT 5 hours ago. Used about 200ml of water. Went pretty well. Nothing to report but its early days.

Going to drink senna tea and if no BM tomorrow morning il do a 500ml enema. Then another FMT.

Going to do 10 FMT and wait 6-8 weeks. If no results then il find another donor but this time ensure they can commit to a diverse diet and magnesium. My donor stool was bristol 2-3 so not optimal

#10 ·
Donor collected a stool at 11am today. I infused it at about 12. It was much better quality then last time. Infusion went well.

still improving my technique for creating the solution. Should be perfect tomorrow.

Will be doing another implant tomorrow and Thursday then take a 3 day break. I am still juice feasting due to these stomach issues so i do not know if fmt will stick. Its been wrongly touted as a cureall. It only works instantly for C.Diff. Chronic conditions need long term infusions and biofilm interventions to heal.

I have bought "wobblezyme " as a biofilm buster. These enzymes go systemic. I will hold off using it untill my stomach has recovered.

The Argentina FMT clinic does 20 FMT over 4 weeks then taper off using fmt /poop pills weekly. It can take years to heal a damaged gut. The biofilm is probably the biggest issue. Prof Borody the pioneer of FMT has his constipation patients on antibiotics for an entire year before FMT, and success rate is only 30%. So i don't expect miracles its just on my list to try. It definitely is the best way to heal dysbiosis but more research needs to be done so we know which donors to use and how to use it for optimal results depending on an individual condition

#11 ·
Thanks for posting this. I hardly

Actually we do know the risks. There have not been any serious complications from nearly 10,000 FMT from stool banks in USA. I did the same testing.

Its also alot safer then killing myself.
I love the attitude and know that feeling all-too-well. Thanks for posting and please keep us posted!

-Is it hard to hold the FT in? I tried once, it was a disaster.

-How is everything going so far? Any decent results or no?

#12 ·
Why are FMTs sometimes unsuccessful ?

I will offer some thoughts for consideration :

We can't continue to take products, or be exposed to products, that are harmful to our good, helpful bacteria, and expect our FMTs to always be successful. We can't expect this ecosystem of bacteria to recover if we at the same time continue our damaging practices. Since we are mostly bacteria, and most of these are good, helpful bacteria, we all need to examine our lives and keep asking, "is what I am exposing myself to, harmful to my good bacteria ?" Sadly, we have literally overlooked "the elephant in the room" (our good bacteria) and are paying dearly for this with our health.

Some things to consider :

1. Antibacterial hand soaps. Many of these products contain triclosan, an antibacterial. It kills bacteria. The trouble is, we are mostly good, helpful bacteria. We are killing our good ones. A serious mistake. The average American urinates Triclsoan. The FDA has recently ruled against these products and they will be phased out. We need to throw them away.

2. Many other products have had antibacterials added into them. Scissors, plastics, baby carriers, handrails, cutting boards, etc. The list is much longer. I suggest you watch "Resistance" on Netflix, or do your own research. They are everywhere. The trouble is, they are killing our beneficial bacteria, the ones we need to keep us healthy.

3. Chlorine. Chlorine kills bacteria and saves countless lives from water borne diseases. We need it, in our water supply lines. However, when we drink it, or bathe in it, we risk killing our good, helpful bacteria. It's another thing we need to correct. I suggest a whole house chlorine removal system, so you can prevent disease coming to your home in your water supply, yet not have to consume this product which may be killing your good bacteria in and on your body.

4. Mouthwash. It is an antibacterial. It kills bacteria. Trouble is, we have from 600 to 800 species of mostly good bacteria, in our mouths alone. We have 100 trillion bacteria in and on our bodies. We are mostly bacteria. Using mouthwash indiscriminately kills our good bacteria also. It is a mistake.

5. Toothpaste. Toothpaste is a low dose poison. Too much will kill you. Toothpaste has never been proven to not be harmful to our good, helpful bacteria of our mouth, our esophagus and the rest of our digestive tract. Re-think your use of toothpaste. Brushing and flossing are still very good things to do to support good oral health, it's still very important. However, brushing and flossing with just water may be the better choice.

6. Processed foods. Processed foods have what are called emulsifiers in them. These emulsifiers cause inflammation in the microbiome of our gut. We should avoid processed foods.

7. Sugars. Sugars are feeding our bad bacteria, something we don't want to be doing.

8. Roundoup. A recent, well written research paper has found that Roundup is killing our good, helpful bacteria, and not harming our bad bacteria. It is also being connected with the rise in gluten intolerance. Roundup is used on corn, soybeans, wheat, and a number of other crops, it has widespread use. It's a big mistake. Please, write the FDA. Your voice can make a difference. Avoid products that may have Roundup in them. Avoiding gluten is a good idea. Then, ask what else has Roundup residues in it ?

9. Exercise. It is well understood that regular exercise improves diversity of the microbiome. So, it is very important that the donor be athletic. It is very important for the recipient to exercise also.

10. The average American has lost 40% of the diversity of this ecosystem of bacteria we carry. 40% So, finding the healthiest donor is critical. They must be athletic and not have had antibiotics in many years (preferably never).

11. 90% of these bacteria in stool are anaerobic. Therefore, when they are exposed to air, they die. Avoiding exposure to air is important.

12. The appendix. This organ was once thought to be useless. Recent research is finding that the appendix is a reservoir for bacteria. After a case of diarrhea, it helps to repopulate the large intestine and restore normal flora. Therefore, multiple FMTs are going to be necessary to slowly re-set this important reservoir.

Some good, positive things we can do : eat a large variety of fresh fruits and fresh vegetables, especially ones with resistant starches. With this, we should also consume a large variety of good fermented probiotic foods such as sauerkraut, Kimchi, Kefir, Kombachu, Miso, etc. The sauerkraut and Kimchi should be unpasteurized, and unheated for best affect.

Lastly, I suggest learning everything you can about The Human Microbiome. There is a reason that it is the hottest area of research in medicine, right now. You can learn so much, and you will realize just how important this ecosystem of bacteria is to our health.

#13 ·
Why are FMTs sometimes unsuccessful ?

I will offer some thoughts for consideration :

We can't continue to take products, or be exposed to products, that are harmful to our good, helpful bacteria, and expect our FMTs to always be successful. We can't expect this ecosystem of bacteria to recover if we at the same time continue our damaging practices. Since we are mostly bacteria, and most of these are good, helpful bacteria, we all need to examine our lives and keep asking, "is what I am exposing myself to, harmful to my good bacteria ?" Sadly, we have literally overlooked "the elephant in the room" (our good bacteria) and are paying dearly for this with our health.

Some things to consider :

1. Antibacterial hand soaps. Many of these products contain triclosan, an antibacterial. It kills bacteria. The trouble is, we are mostly good, helpful bacteria. We are killing our good ones. A serious mistake. The average American urinates Triclsoan. The FDA has recently ruled against these products and they will be phased out. We need to throw them away.

2. Many other products have had antibacterials added into them. Scissors, plastics, baby carriers, handrails, cutting boards, etc. The list is much longer. I suggest you watch "Resistance" on Netflix, or do your own research. They are everywhere. The trouble is, they are killing our beneficial bacteria, the ones we need to keep us healthy.

3. Chlorine. Chlorine kills bacteria and saves countless lives from water borne diseases. We need it, in our water supply lines. However, when we drink it, or bathe in it, we risk killing our good, helpful bacteria. It's another thing we need to correct. I suggest a whole house chlorine removal system, so you can prevent disease coming to your home in your water supply, yet not have to consume this product which may be killing your good bacteria in and on your body.

4. Mouthwash. It is an antibacterial. It kills bacteria. Trouble is, we have from 600 to 800 species of mostly good bacteria, in our mouths alone. We have 100 trillion bacteria in and on our bodies. We are mostly bacteria. Using mouthwash indiscriminately kills our good bacteria also. It is a mistake.

5. Toothpaste. Toothpaste is a low dose poison. Too much will kill you. Toothpaste has never been proven to not be harmful to our good, helpful bacteria of our mouth, our esophagus and the rest of our digestive tract. Re-think your use of toothpaste. Brushing and flossing are still very good things to do to support good oral health, it's still very important. However, brushing and flossing with just water may be the better choice.

6. Processed foods. Processed foods have what are called emulsifiers in them. These emulsifiers cause inflammation in the microbiome of our gut. We should avoid processed foods.

7. Sugars. Sugars are feeding our bad bacteria, something we don't want to be doing.

8. Roundoup. A recent, well written research paper has found that Roundup is killing our good, helpful bacteria, and not harming our bad bacteria. It is also being connected with the rise in gluten intolerance. Roundup is used on corn, soybeans, wheat, and a number of other crops, it has widespread use. It's a big mistake. Please, write the FDA. Your voice can make a difference. Avoid products that may have Roundup in them. Avoiding gluten is a good idea. Then, ask what else has Roundup residues in it ?

9. Exercise. It is well understood that regular exercise improves diversity of the microbiome. So, it is very important that the donor be athletic. It is very important for the recipient to exercise also.

10. The average American has lost 40% of the diversity of this ecosystem of bacteria we carry. 40% So, finding the healthiest donor is critical. They must be athletic and not have had antibiotics in many years (preferably never).

11. 90% of these bacteria in stool are anaerobic. Therefore, when they are exposed to air, they die. Avoiding exposure to air is important.

12. The appendix. This organ was once thought to be useless. Recent research is finding that the appendix is a reservoir for bacteria. After a case of diarrhea, it helps to repopulate the large intestine and restore normal flora. Therefore, multiple FMTs are going to be necessary to slowly re-set this important reservoir.

Some good, positive things we can do : eat a large variety of fresh fruits and fresh vegetables, especially ones with resistant starches. With this, we should also consume a large variety of good fermented probiotic foods such as sauerkraut, Kimchi, Kefir, Kombachu, Miso, etc. The sauerkraut and Kimchi should be unpasteurized, and unheated for best affect.

Lastly, I suggest learning everything you can about The Human Microbiome. There is a reason that it is the hottest area of research in medicine, right now. You can learn so much, and you will realize just how important this ecosystem of bacteria is to our health.
I got my IBS-C from eating fresh fruits and vegetables after eating regular foods all my life. I was 'almost a vegetarian' for about two or three months, it totally messed my intestines up. Yes, it was probably all GM food, but I think the real reason I got it was the switch over of what I ate and most importantly, genetics, as IBS runs in my family.

I never had chronic constipation until I went almost all vegetarian.

#14 ·
We get much of our microbiome from our mothers. So, if your mother's microbiome lacked diversity, and was out of balance, it is very likely to have been passed on to you. I think we also have to take into account our use of antibiotics which further disrupts this ecosystem. It's been referred to as a 'carpet bomb'. So, if you had antibiotics in your past, it may have played a role also. Then, couple that with antibacterial hand soaps or other antibacterial laced products such as { plastics, baby carriers, underwear, yoga mats, coolers, handrails, face wash, skin wipes, lotion, cutting boards lip gloss, toothbrushes, scissors, paint, mops, etc, etc. } and we have continued exposure to antibiotics which are well understood to wreck havoc on this ecosystem of bacteria that we live with. Plus, we have to take into account the topics I mentioned in my earlier post, and the damage they are causing also.

Many medicines affect our gut bacteria, as well as over the counter supplements/drugs. There's a long list of things we are doing or using that we haven't realized are harming our good bacteria, which in turn harm our health.

I'll post a link you may find interesting. It's about Roundup, and the damage it is doing to us. This may be helpful.

Medical researchers report several different things as being suspected of causing IBS, to include antibiotics, other medications, over the counter drugs, food poisoning, and sometimes they just don't know. Given that we harm this ecosystem in many different ways, as I described above, it may be a combination of mistakes.

Believe it or not, the FDA doesn't closely regulate the additives put into our foods. They rely on industry scientists, which have an inherent profit motive, to make the call. It is a terrible policy, and most people don't realize what is happening. The FDA is underfunded, and thousands of chemicals or additives get added into our food without us really know whether they are safe, or not, and their long term health consequences.

Just this last year, it was reported that the emulsifiers in processed foods are causing inflammation in the gut. I think we need to ask, " What else is causing harm ? " Quite frankly, when we recognize that we are mostly bacteria, that bacteria cells outnumber human cells, and then we consider the harmful products that we use or ingest, well it's no wonder we have so many problems. These bacteria play an amazing role in our health and I read scientific research that keeps understanding this more and more.

"Glyphosate, pathways to modern disease11: Celiac sprue and gluten intolerance"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3945755/

#15 ·
Blackfox,

I read in the book, "10% Human by Alanna Collen, that Borody only achieves a 30% success rate when trying to reverse IBS-C. This leads me to believe that a combination approach may be necessary to reverse IBS-C. Both the use of a colonoscope to re-store the flora of the large intestine and a nasogenic tube to re-store the flora of the small intestine may be warranted. It would seem wise to look for research that might support this concept.

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
Blackfox,

I read in the book, "10% Human by Alanna Collen, that Borody only achieves a 30% success rate when trying to reverse IBS-C. This leads me to believe that a combination approach may be necessary to reverse IBS-C. Both the use of a colonoscope to re-store the flora of the large intestine and a nasogenic tube to re-store the flora of the small intestine may be warranted. It would seem wise to look for research that might support this concept.
I have heard through the grapevine that blackfox is no longer with us; has passed on. I'm pretty sure the information is accurate.

R.I.P blackfox.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.