Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had violent diarrhea for 9 years. Been to several G.I. docs. Every kind of test imaginable. Results negative. My PCP has asked me to go on a FODMAP diet. Horrors of horrors. If I went on a FODMAP diet, I'd loose every single kind of food I love and be forced to eat things a hate. Yes, I could probably live on meat, poultry, fish, eggs and a few kinds of cheese. Heaven knows what that would do to my arteries.
The more I look at the FODMAP diet, the more depressed I become. I'd even loose my drinks, sodas, Gatorade, iced tea, milk , juices. Surely there must be some alternatives ???

·
Registered
555 Posts
if your ibs is bad enough, you’ll be willing to try anything. So if it’s not worth it to you yet, be thankful you can tolerate life without needing to use the diet.
That being said, it’s not meant to be permanent. Technically it is meant to be used as a reset button to try to get your body to calm down and stop reacting to everything you are eating.
You will just have to experiment to see what works for you. I eat less than 10 foods on a regular basis because my stomach is so sensitive. And i’m still struggling a lot. And I don’t use the fodmap diet. But it does help you to start to cut out the most common offenders and go from there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes I concur with the above reply, the FODMAP diet isn't a permanent diet, one web site says for 2 weeks and another says for 6 weeks but I found in several days you can be back on certain "groups" of foods that you've trialled. Just leave a few clear days between each test and be sure to wait to get back on track if you make a mistake with the diet.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The low FODMAP diet is a temporary eating plan that’s very restrictive, it’s not a diet anyone should follow for long. It’s a short discovery process to determine what foods are troublesome for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts