Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Recently my IBS C has started to get worse and worse, so I've just embarked on the FODMAP diet as recommended by a friend, who is a doctor. Not really sure where to start, I bought the book 'IBS - Free at Last' by Patsy Catsos as it had good reviews on Amazon. So, I went out shopping this weekend and bought all the 'allowed foods' in the book, only to find that the book is out of date and a lot of foods that she deems 'allowed' have now been ruled out. If anyone wants a massive bag of mushrooms and a cauliflower I have plenty going spare....The book is American and all food portions/recipes are measured out in cups, which is confusing to me. Trying to find a standard conversion table on the net has proved very difficult; in the past I've always gone on the knowledge that one cup is equivalent to 8 fluid ounces, but found many websites said that the measurement in ounces differs depending on the type of ingredient, e.g; whether you're measuring dry goods, or fruit, or liquid etc. So, I've just sort of been guessing.Anyway, I've been doing the diet for 4 days now, and I'm not expecting to see an improvement just yet. But, I'm really struggling with the portion sizes. I am a very big eater, plus I run on a regular basis so I'm constantly hungry, and four days into this diet I'm STARVING! The book I'm following sets a meal-plan to help you get the gist of the diet for the first two weeks, but some of the meals and snacks are leaving me with a rumble in my tummy! For example, a suggestion for a mid-morning snack is some cherry tomatoes and a low-fat mozzarella stick - I would usually eat a flapjack, a banana/raisins and 4 cheesy oatcakes!! She pads out a lot of the meals and snacks with nuts, and I'm terribly allergic to nuts so this is a no-go for me, but I'm not sure what I can replace this food group with without eating too many danger foods in one meal.Today, I've already eaten:Breakfast:1 cup cheerios, handful of blueberries & lacto-free milk1 rice cake with a little bit of butterMid-morning snack:2 rice cakes1 gherkin5 cherry tomatoes1/2 oz brieA small bit of ham1 celery stick1 boiled eggLunch:Baked potato with tuna, cucumber and mayoNot even sure if I should be eating this much, but my usual diet consists of lots of oats, dried fruit and pulses which I've had to eliminate. I don't find that raw fruit and veg fills me up as a snack so I'm having to eat loads of it for it to even touch the sides!Would be interested to know how other people have coped on this diet. Being a very thin person, I've never had to go on a diet before of any kind, so this is a real test of my willpower.

· Registered
2 Posts
Hi,sorry to hear you're struggling with the FODMAP diet. I've been on it a while now. I went to a dietitian to guide me. Basically, I strive to eat basic, pure food. For example, in the morning I'll eat gluten free porridge (I personally find ordinary porridge causes bloating)or eggs on gluten free toast, then for a snack I'll eat a banana,or gluten free oat cakes or corn cakes. Then for lunch I'll eat gluten free bread, tuna, sweetcorn, mayo or salmon. For dinner I'll eat meat and two veg. (roast chicken, potatoes, carrots and parsnips mashed, or pork, potatoes and sweetcorn or prawn/chicken stirfry with peppers, carrots, courgettes,corn. I hope this helps a small bit.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts