Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
hi, as far as I know ALL hard cheese is thought to be lactose free, [well, free enough for the low fodmap diet] because the lactose, is contained within the whey, and that is removed during the hard cheese making process. Confusingly, soft cheese made from milk, contains lactose, but some soft cheeses made from cream, are lactose free.An interesting thread.edit added, Similarly, butter made from cream is also considered OK for low fodmap.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Buy vegan mayo, normally in the 'freefrom' section in the UK?
Regular mayo typically should not contain milk. Just look for a better-quality brand of real mayo (read ALL the labels) or make your own. All it contains is oil, vinegar, and egg yolks. In the US, Trader Joe's carries an organic mayonnaise that contains no FODMAP triggers and is by far the best mayo I've ever tasted. All natural, real ingredients just taste better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Eggs! Lots and lots of eggs! Watch out with the yolks, don't go crazy and eat all the yolks because that's a TON of cholesterol, but I'd never get enough protein if it weren't for eggs. Plus they're cheap and versatile.Updates to the food lists is very frustrating, and I find that there's a level of personal tolerance to be figured out as well. The website for Patsy's book, IBS-Free At Last!, has updates listed. Search "book update" and they'll all come up by food group.Also, personally I cannot handle lactose-free milk and I'm of the opinion that lactose-free dairy items should not be eaten on the elimination phase. Try switching to rice milk for a few weeks and see how that goes. Also, I see you listed ham. I have found almost all commercial ham contains honey, which is a danger food. Artisan-style cured meats usually only contain salt and pork so I recommend going for the high-end meats and not cheap ham.I was pretty hungry for the first week until I started getting a feel for what i can and can't eat. I say ignore the portion size suggestions if you're a really active guy who needs to eat a lot - unless the portion size specified is for a fruit or vegetable. Those are restricted because they may contain a small amount of FODMAPs, so shouldn't be eaten in large quantities.My last piece of advice is use a food tracking website like livestrong.com to monitor your calorie intake and your nutrient levels. IBS is very fiber-sensitive and I try to get only the recommended amount but no more than that. Also, check out my blog for recipes, menu ideas, and package food reviews: Happy Tummy Happy Life
I checked out your blog but the link to FODMAP list doesn't work. I'm so confused over the ones I find online. One says ok to eat this and another says no. Can you give me a good link to an accurate list?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Test low fodmap foods from each list, if it makes you sick, then do not eat it, if you digest it fine, then eat it.

I finally had to start journaling what I ate to really figure out what works for me and what does not.

Use fodmap recommendations as a guide post and figure out what works specifically for you.

I have tried many different diets over the years and just eat what works for me.

With digestive systems as diverse as each persons on this forum, there will never be ONE diet plan that works.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts