Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

FODMAP specific questions

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  AnitaG 
#1 ·
Anyone who knows FODMAP well, I am finding some conflicting info out there.

Some sites say these okay, some don't:

Garlic

Broccoli

Almonds

A\I am also curious on another thing. I have already gone dairy and gluten free strictly for three months and it didn't "fix" my issues. Do you think I still need to follow that portion of the diet?

Thanks for any input.

#3 ·
Definitely no on garlic. Avocado, only about 1/8 of one, broccoli up to 1/2 cup is ok. Almonds- 10-15 max. You might want to be sure to check the labels for FODMAPs on any gluten free foods you are eating- make sure there's no inulin, honey, or agave for example, because those are in many gluten free products. -Kate

#4 ·
I have consistently found garlic on the high-FODMAP lists, and since Monash U has it on the bad list I'd trust that it's to be avoided during the elimination phase.

I believe broccoli is only considered low-FODMAP in small doses, like less than 1/4 cup. Here's an article explaining broccoli's FODMAP standing: http://www.lowfodmapibsdiet.com/is-broccoli-fodmap-friendly-no-and-yes/

Almonds I have listed as safe only when eating less than 10.

Avocados are high in FODMAPs because of the polyols.

As for your question about dairy and gluten: Yes, I think that during the elimination phase you do need to eliminate all the potential contributors. FODMAPs are cumulative, and you want to get rid of all of the foods that could be adding up to your symptoms. Awhile ago I also eliminated dairy for several weeks, and didn't see a difference; unfortunately, that doesn't mean that dairy is not a culprit. It just means that I was still eating other foods that ALSO were culprits.

It's only for 6 weeks, and I certainly don't want to go through this elimination phase again. So, I'm trying to do it right the first time.

#5 ·
Its been the same for me. I'm rather new to this situation and went off gluten and dairy, coffee, tea, junk food, restaurant food, chocolate, sugar.. you name it, I went off of it, and I still have the problem. I can only hope its better this way, at least i feel like

I am trying.. More than I can say about the medical profession when it comes to this problem?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.