Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't want to barge in on the "boys' post but am interested in the article "Soligenix gets US patent for using beclomethasone diproprionate......to treat IBS". This is the same drug given for asthma in an inhaler device. However, given this way it does not produce systemic effects ie only goes to the lungs unless given at a very high dose. When asthma deteriorates oral prednisolone is given but this works systemically. I don't think in the UK we have an oral form of beclomethasone. So, I was wondering if anyone with asthma who has used oral steroids ie prednisolone noticed if their IBS improved. Do you think Soligenix believe there is an allergic response going on? Wouldn't necessarily want to be taking high dose steroids -osteoporosis comes to mind so presumably this tablet would have to be a fairly low dose.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Not only osteoporosis but a whole bunch of highly undesirable side effects on your system. I'd NEVER treat myself with corticosteroids unless they make the difference between life and death (i.e. anaphylaxis). These guys just found a new application (niche market) for their product, but then again, this could mean that IBS moves even closer to IBD.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Short term (for a week to a month) to deal with less serious allergies (not life or death but serious allergies) I have used them.The big scary side effects are long term things. One problem is that they can make you feel good without necessarily fixing a problem so it could be hard to evaluate how much of improvement for something like IBS is side effect vs actual effect, IMO, at least in the short run.I've taken them for allergies for short term and not had any significant problem. Once for a skin reaction where they needed to limit the damage to the small vessels and letting it run it's course could be risky, and a few times for allergies/asthma to knock things down enough that the other medications could get control. Neither were life or death but the risk of a few days of steroids was less than the potential damage of letting things go uncontrolled.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I now realize that many years ago when I had allergies (not a major issue for quite some time), I was prescribed the nasal spray form of beclomethasone and used it frequently. I never noticed any side effects at the time. I did not have IBS at the time, so cannot speak to any connection, but I also find it interesting that a medication involved with tamping down immune response suggests more similarity between IBS and IBD than traditionally thought.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
have researched this a bit more and there has been a study which showed that people with IBS did not benefit from prednisolone so I'm not sure why this company thinks beclomethasone will help. Presumably they have some evidence to apply for a patent.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yeah some hard evidence like "42% of the trial group taking corticosteroids got better.......... but also 39% of the group taking placebo".

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah some hard evidence like "42% of the trial group taking corticosteroids got better.......... but also 39% of the group taking placebo"
Results of studies with IBS are always difficult interpret. Because IBS is not a disease like crohn or colitis, it`s still a snydrome. Which means that the problems are very different from person to person. We know, that not all people with IBS had infection or immune activation and sick mucosa. So for example in Colitis 100% have a sick mucosa. So these groups are more standardized. So that`s a problem because it makes it difficult to seek cure for people who have diffrent issues. Probably if researcher do a study about IBS they pick random people , some with sick mucosa and of course some who have nothing, of psychosamtic case, where really nothing is physical wrong.So we will never see 90% positiv reaction on any substance.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I don't think they could distinguish any mucosal pathology in IBS patients these days. Maybe in future when diagnostic tools and methods improve IBS could be sub-classified as inflammatory/non-inflammatory type, etc. At present, every IBS therapy or even the "diagnosis" is a shot in the dark...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts