Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm up right now at 4:00 am, been up since 2:30 because food and/or acid went up into my throat and mouth and woke me up! I've had this happen to me about two times during the last month while I was awake but never asleep. Is this reflux or Gerd? I'm also having pains in my heart area right now.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Hi Kitty2I have GERD and IBS-D - the difference is as I understand it - heartburn only happens a couple of times and over the counter antacid (Gavescon) works - GERD is heartburn, relux, sharp stabbing pain in upper abd/chest every night and the antacids don't touch. Its where the valve at the top of you stomach doesnt work and food/acid reflux up. I am on medication to stop my stomach producing acid, therefore controlling the reflux - hopes this helps

·
Registered
766 Posts
Hi Kitty2I have GERD and IBS-D - the difference is as I understand it - heartburn only happens a couple of times and over the counter antacid (Gavescon) works - GERD is heartburn, relux, sharp stabbing pain in upper abd/chest every night and the antacids don't touch. Its where the valve at the top of you stomach doesnt work and food/acid reflux up. I am on medication to stop my stomach producing acid, therefore controlling the reflux - hopes this helps

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I get this really bad, too. You haven't lived until it actually comes out your nose. I have a hiatal hernia, which causes GERD/reflux. (They're the same thing--GERD is Gastro Eesphoageal Reflux Disease.) Tagamet seems to help me, but you're supposed to take it BEFORE the symptoms start, and I can't always figure out what's going to trigger it.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I get this really bad, too. You haven't lived until it actually comes out your nose. I have a hiatal hernia, which causes GERD/reflux. (They're the same thing--GERD is Gastro Eesphoageal Reflux Disease.) Tagamet seems to help me, but you're supposed to take it BEFORE the symptoms start, and I can't always figure out what's going to trigger it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
....hello!....I suffered from acid reflux for over 10 years....nightly.....even Rolaids/Mylanta/Tums....and all the rest....wouldn't help.....then along came Aciphex.....I take 20 mg in the morning and 20 mg at night.....I have taken it for over two years now....and have not ONE time had another bout of reflux.....supposedly it is totally safe....and is considered (at least to me) a miracle drug.....ask your doctor if you might try this.

·
Registered
40 Posts
....hello!....I suffered from acid reflux for over 10 years....nightly.....even Rolaids/Mylanta/Tums....and all the rest....wouldn't help.....then along came Aciphex.....I take 20 mg in the morning and 20 mg at night.....I have taken it for over two years now....and have not ONE time had another bout of reflux.....supposedly it is totally safe....and is considered (at least to me) a miracle drug.....ask your doctor if you might try this.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I have Gerd but mine is a bit different than normal. I don't have any burning or acid come up in my throat or out my nose. I simply have pain in my chest area that radiates thru to my back. It is excruciating. My doctor wants me to have a Esophageal Manometry test but I am scared.I am taking Protonix as of a week ago Saturday and so far it has not helped a bit.I drink a lot of Pepto Bismol....

·
Registered
621 Posts
I have Gerd but mine is a bit different than normal. I don't have any burning or acid come up in my throat or out my nose. I simply have pain in my chest area that radiates thru to my back. It is excruciating. My doctor wants me to have a Esophageal Manometry test but I am scared.I am taking Protonix as of a week ago Saturday and so far it has not helped a bit.I drink a lot of Pepto Bismol....

·
Registered
23,983 Posts

·
Registered
23,983 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the replies! I hope that these were isolated incidents! I have enough trouble with my IBS and other health problems. You know, this reflux is pretty dangerous - if I didn't wake up I could of possibly choked to death.
Is burping alot a symptom of GERD?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for the replies! I hope that these were isolated incidents! I have enough trouble with my IBS and other health problems. You know, this reflux is pretty dangerous - if I didn't wake up I could of possibly choked to death.
Is burping alot a symptom of GERD?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've had this happen to me. Once I woke up to go to the bathroom, and ended up staying away with a really sour taste in my mouth from food I had burped up in my sleep, until I took a few TUMS, and brushed my teeth twice.I got the taste again, later that morning. I had spicy food the night before, and I think that had a lot to do with it. I get heart burn often.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've had this happen to me. Once I woke up to go to the bathroom, and ended up staying away with a really sour taste in my mouth from food I had burped up in my sleep, until I took a few TUMS, and brushed my teeth twice.I got the taste again, later that morning. I had spicy food the night before, and I think that had a lot to do with it. I get heart burn often.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.