Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have contacted a nutritionist about getting help for my ibs and he suggests among other things that we will discuss when I come to see him, an allergy test. It cost $300 dollars and I'm not exactly rolling in money.Has anyone had this test done before? What kind of results did you get?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Well I didn't expect to see much, but last time I needed an allergy panel for my allergy shots we added the food panel as I have had IBS issues.The only thing that twigged even a little bit was cantaloupe, but it cross reacts with ragweed which I'm really allergic to. I've not noticed any issues with cantaloupe digestive wise, but I do eat it infrequently just in case I start having allergy issues.A lot of food allergies cause more skin and respiratory problems than just IBS symptoms with no other symptoms of allergies.I would look into which allergy test they are wanting to do. Some of the more alternative medicine ones seem to find a lot of allergies the standard medical one doesn't, but they seem to find (based on what people say they get back) that all humans are allergic to the usual suspects and you could just ask what are the most common issues the nutritionist gets from those and cut those out for a few weeks and if it isn't better just go back to normal eating.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have recently been going back and forth to the doctors as it was only recently diagnosed. I asked the doctor for a food alergy test as i had seen them for £200 in superdrug but the doc said that there is no point as it is a allergy test and not an intollerance test, so i could be allergic to say apples but the side effects could be that it makes me fart once or something insignificant. So i could be cutting loads of food out of my diet for nothing. If you do go for it let us know how you get on and if it helps you.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My mom got tested for food allergies at her chiropractor and tested positive for many different food allergies. I had a food allergy test done on myself at my doctor's office and my results showed that I don't have any food allergies. To me this was quite frustrating because I still have diarrhea and, so far, they don't know any possible cause other than perhaps my anxiety level (which is why I am now on Buspar). I wonder if I were to go to her chiropractor and got tested again if their test would show stuff that the doctor's test didn't?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To be more precise, it was intolerance testing, not allergy testing. I had allergy tests done previously and they came back negative but this intolerance test was very helpful.It wasn't simply yes/no or positive/negative results, they actually showed how intolerant you are of each food, on a bar of 0-6 showing exactly where they land.Personally my tests showed that I am very intolerant of all grains and dairy, and strongly intolerant(not as bad as grains)of most vegetables. I can eat all fruit, except citrus fruits, all meat and fish. It's been quite a challenge finding enough different things to eat during the day but I am still far, far better off than before I had the tests done.I am still struggling trying to find a fiber supplement to help make me feel even better, but I have bad reactions to all that I have tried. Since I can eat apples, I decided to try an apple pectin supplement, still taking it now, but unfortunately I'm not too optimistic, it's making me worse, just like every other fiber supplement.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
There have been a number of coincidences between foods that cause more frequent and/or softer stools and eczemic reactions and the list I was given by a Naturopath after testing and what showed up in the book " Eating 4 Your Type", a diet based on blood types. In a gross generalization that I have drawn since dealing with this for over 20 years, and most of them successfully, I believe it is linked through GI inflammation and an overworked liver. As an example, too many fresh tomatoes will cause both a deteriorization of my bowels and an outbreak of eczema on my hands. Cut back on the tomatoes and both conditions improve. Because I first had to address the inflammation, caused by smoking in my case, it took a long time to be able to see a direct connection between what I take in and what comes out; but it does exist. While you will probably not address the root cause of your IBS through eliminating these foods, over time the effort is likely to be worthwhile. For reasons that have nothing to do with IBS, I have recently eliminated dairy--one of my problem foods--from my diet and have found my morning movement much more normal.Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.