Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The post below was in the meeting place - re food combining just want to know has anyone tried it and what was the reaction (IBS symtoms)?_________________________whatinspiresu Junior Member Member # 10378 posted 05-21-2002 01:01 PM --------------------------------------------------I found this great website!!!!! http://www.healersall.com Its about food, herbs and disease prevention and healing...This site has loads of phenominal information that taught me what was going on in my stomach (I have gastritis -but these a large section on IBS). It also taught me how to combine foods correctly and gave me access to products that help me create good health forever.... AND when I wrote an email for help with my personal illness (that had tormented me for over a year!) I got a response the NEXT DAY, with practices that I could begin to use immediately!After only a month, my condition has improved dramatically And I lost weight in the process!!!From what Ive learned from them, Ive empowered myself, breaking free from the limited advice of my doctor. If you want to email me to find out the herbs I took:whatinspiresu###netscape.net

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Some people seem to do really well for various things with food combining schemes. Some people do not do very well (and like many thing the failures tend to be ascribed to the person rather than the method.. you cheated...well many of them are difficult to follow and even the sucessful people cheat)Most of the "biology" used to rationalize most of the schemes is much more "psuedobiology" than things that are well understood and have a firm scientific basis.As long as the overall diet being touted is healthy there isn't any reason that you shouldn't do it (It won't hurt you other than feeling guilty if you can't keep up a complicated regime, or ascribe the failure to you). But there isn't any compelling rational reason to believe it will work for you.Now many people find these sorts of things are quite helpful (or they wouldn't be popular for treating just about every ill known to man) but as to the why it helps...who knows. I believe that in some part the being proactive about something may trigger enough psychosocial cues that it enables you to help yourself. Like just being in a clinical trial (Even when you get the placebo) can make your disorder better, just from the being proactive, getting treated well/listened to (after all they want to keep you in the trial so you tend to get treated by the doctors/staff they way you wish everyone did)K.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Brief take...on road..laptop...keyboard impossible to type on...lucky for you.
Most of the time that I have seen "food combining" approaches seem to reduce symptoms in IBS patients is due to the statistical probabilities of the most common origins of pseudoallergy and hypersensitivity.Some combining regimens seem to be effect at reducing symptoms more due to the effect of many of the diets reduce or eliminate frequent expsure to foods which have a higher probability of being provocative via one mechanisms or another in the "IBS population" esp. people with a d-component.So sometimes you hit a good combo and sometimes not. So some people are helped some people are not. Also when you introduce another variable, such as herbal supplementation, you also have to take that into account when assessing the outcomes.An extreme example for the sake of being obvious would be to set forth DIET PLAN A and claim efficacy when at the same time you have the person go on cromolyn sodium. The symptoms stop and we acclaim the diet itself successful? (he queried rhetorically). HAve to assess the effect of each modality seprately, then combine them, to determine the net outcomes and evaluate "which hog ate the cabbage."One the road again.....MNL

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
SaffieA friend of mine tried it for IBS & it worked for her. I did the diet 10 yrs ago for general health (had a lot of colds) & it was wonderful but very limiting. I did feel quite hyper-active too & would often wake at 5am (not everyone gets this).Have you read 'Food Combining for Health' by Jean Joice & Doris Grant or 'Fit for Life' by Harvey & Marilyn Diamond? Both good reads on the subject.Oh & UK actor John Mills has apparently been combining for years, he says he can still fit into a jacket he had when he was about 30.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I liked going to the link, but I don't know that I could follw such complicated rules! Does it seem counter-intuitive to anyone? It doesn't correlate with any of the books and dieticians who promote soluble fiber as the foundation for every meal, but that's not really working for me so I'm REALLY open to suggestion. It may be worth a try. Thanks a lot for the information!

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Carol on Line:I would suggest these two books would be helpful to you:"FOOD ALLERGIES AND FOOD INTOLERANCE: THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO THEIR IDENTIFICTION AND TREATMENT", Professor Jonathan Brostoff , M.D.. Allergy, Immunology and Environmental Medicine, Kings' College, London http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/089...6487508-3420903 IBS: A DOCTORS PLAN FOR CHRONIC DIGESTIVE TROUBLESBy Gerard Guillory, M.D.; Vanessa Ameen, M.D.; Paul Donovan, M.D.; Jack Martin, Ph.D. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-h...9085785-1742301 MNL

·
Registered
222 Posts
Thanks Mike if these were for me. I had called LEAP after filling out a survey and spoke with Jan. She had some really interesting thoughts on my situation, but due to the IBS-C and the fact that at times I respond to antibiotics, she thought it was worth getting a stool culture before doing any allergy testing.I definity notice though that I cannot tolerate strawberries, and I think these books may really help. Does any of you know, Is Ibsacol only for IBS-D, and how is it different from immunolin? wandering star, have you taken the tests?

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Caroline:Good...I am glad to hear "the system" for selecting properly those patients for whom the disease managment program is more likely to be effective worked in this case, and that our therapist was helpful in providing something positive, proactive and appopriate to investigate which would be suited to your history and physicial presentation.
While no selection system is perfect, it should imrove outcomes by imprving the probbailities of the selected population since we are not in the biz of promoting such testing for "screening"...don't beleive in that...only with certain other types of tests.The books though cover a wide ranging array of both the therapeutic approaches to all kinds of IBS symptom sets (Guillory) and all manner of symptom presentation of all kinds of food or chemical hypersneisitivity (Brostoff) I do suggest them as good reading for you...not all reactivity is diarrheic. Heck WashoeLisa's daughter had no GI symptoms at all. Due to the type of reactivity she suffered it manifest itself as refractory eczema! Now in remission...1.5 or 2 years??? I forget.Eat well, think well, be well.MNL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.