Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am quite new to the site, but feel I must share by IBS experience. For 3 -4 years I have been suffering with IBS (D) many visits to the doctors who told me it was stress related , many pills have been swallowed and slight relief for a day or so. Through this site I found the link could be food related which I had been telling the doctors and so I plucked up the courage to have a food intolerance test privately as the doctors would not recommend me as they said it was not accurate. A month on and it has worked! Wheat,lactose and oranges are the main contenders which seem to 'hate' me. I am taking no pills. If only I had known this years ago I could have had a life with my children going to the park, outings, walks in the countryside without constantly looking around for a toilet and I am sure having panick attacks when I couldn't find them. It's worth a try!Good luck to fellow sufferers, I have been there and hope that I do not return but I shall keep a link to this site ITS GREAT.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I am happy for you...
It was good that you figured out what played a part in your IBS..I have felt so much bettersince I have elimated the things that was making me sick...I feel so much better

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I am happy for you...
It was good that you figured out what played a part in your IBS..I have felt so much bettersince I have elimated the things that was making me sick...I feel so much better

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
If you have a wheat intolerance it is always helpful to get a blood test from your doctor to check for Celiac Disease. You can read about Celiac on the net for a detailed explaination. Basically, it is being "gluten" intolerant and can cause diahreah, osteoporosis, and could lead to colon cancer. A blood test takes 5 min. & it's good to rule Celiac out. My mother has it...we were shocked. But you never know. I tested negative.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
If you have a wheat intolerance it is always helpful to get a blood test from your doctor to check for Celiac Disease. You can read about Celiac on the net for a detailed explaination. Basically, it is being "gluten" intolerant and can cause diahreah, osteoporosis, and could lead to colon cancer. A blood test takes 5 min. & it's good to rule Celiac out. My mother has it...we were shocked. But you never know. I tested negative.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the tip, I am seeing the doctor next week to tell him of my findings and I will mention this then.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the tip, I am seeing the doctor next week to tell him of my findings and I will mention this then.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
BonnieiI tried the skin prick test and they stuck me with 100's of needles and that showedup ok...with food intolerance the reactive things can take up to a couple of days to show up..I was even keeping a log and just gave up on that because I didnt know food wouldbother you days later...I could never figure it out...I ended up going with LEAP and I thoughthis will just be another test that will come back ok....It come back the things that I was reactive to and I thought I will stay away from them but I bet it dont work...Such a goodattitude...
Oh My God...for me it has worked by staying away from the foods that mysystem just cant take...for what ever reason when I dont put them in my system I am a different person no more nausea, vomiting, horrible pains with D, my legs use to hurt all the time, ect..I am just sharing what has worked for me when I just knew food couldnt be the problem.....Because there is no way it made me that sick....WRONG

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
BonnieiI tried the skin prick test and they stuck me with 100's of needles and that showedup ok...with food intolerance the reactive things can take up to a couple of days to show up..I was even keeping a log and just gave up on that because I didnt know food wouldbother you days later...I could never figure it out...I ended up going with LEAP and I thoughthis will just be another test that will come back ok....It come back the things that I was reactive to and I thought I will stay away from them but I bet it dont work...Such a goodattitude...
Oh My God...for me it has worked by staying away from the foods that mysystem just cant take...for what ever reason when I dont put them in my system I am a different person no more nausea, vomiting, horrible pains with D, my legs use to hurt all the time, ect..I am just sharing what has worked for me when I just knew food couldnt be the problem.....Because there is no way it made me that sick....WRONG

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
bonniei, LEAP is for food intolerance, hydrogen for sugar malabsorption, and skin prick for allergies. Skin prick is not very accurate, prone to false positives, so a thorough doctor will follow it with oral challenge unless the patient is prone to anaphylactic shock. Food intolerance and food allergies cause similar symptoms, but they are different immune reactions. The food allergy test will not show food intolerance.redrose, I'm also curious about what test you had. Also it sounds like your doctor is not supportive. If he/she doesn't change his/her attitude, I think you should look for a better one.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
bonniei, LEAP is for food intolerance, hydrogen for sugar malabsorption, and skin prick for allergies. Skin prick is not very accurate, prone to false positives, so a thorough doctor will follow it with oral challenge unless the patient is prone to anaphylactic shock. Food intolerance and food allergies cause similar symptoms, but they are different immune reactions. The food allergy test will not show food intolerance.redrose, I'm also curious about what test you had. Also it sounds like your doctor is not supportive. If he/she doesn't change his/her attitude, I think you should look for a better one.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Julia37, I just wanted to know what redrose was referring to since most people use these terms all interchangeably. I am aware of the differences. Thanks. BTW, flux and I are constantly trying to make people aware that the hydrogen breath tests are for malabsorption only.Glad it was not all in vain, if you learnt it on the board,

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Julia37, I just wanted to know what redrose was referring to since most people use these terms all interchangeably. I am aware of the differences. Thanks. BTW, flux and I are constantly trying to make people aware that the hydrogen breath tests are for malabsorption only.Glad it was not all in vain, if you learnt it on the board,

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The test that I had was called the 'LISTEN' system. It was all done by pointing some type of 'pencil' object at the joints in my finger taking energy readings. The joints use are same as the type for acupunature I was told. I was tested for 100 food types ( I know this was not many) but I wasn't to sure myself if it would work and 35 vitamins and minerals, but apart from money what else had I got to lose! It only cost me �75 GBP for my life back. It was interesting that some of the foods which showed up like (pork, spinach,rubarb,strawberries) I already knew that I could not eat without problems since I left school. I did not mention that all IBS started mildly with me 3 months after having my second child. One is 11 and the other 4. Thanks for taking an interest. It is nice to know people out there do care even if the doctors do not.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The test that I had was called the 'LISTEN' system. It was all done by pointing some type of 'pencil' object at the joints in my finger taking energy readings. The joints use are same as the type for acupunature I was told. I was tested for 100 food types ( I know this was not many) but I wasn't to sure myself if it would work and 35 vitamins and minerals, but apart from money what else had I got to lose! It only cost me �75 GBP for my life back. It was interesting that some of the foods which showed up like (pork, spinach,rubarb,strawberries) I already knew that I could not eat without problems since I left school. I did not mention that all IBS started mildly with me 3 months after having my second child. One is 11 and the other 4. Thanks for taking an interest. It is nice to know people out there do care even if the doctors do not.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts