Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybodyI am a guy in the UK in my thirties who has been battling IBS-D for a long time. It has been good for me to read this forum and see other people's experiences.The cause of my problem: my father's family are generally obese overeaters and my mother's family are thin people with big problems with big digestive problems that nobody before my generation ever investigated.I love to overeat but I get the horrible side of effect of soiling myself on average twice a week. I have only recently summoned the courage to face the problem. The main one is that when I soil I can stink. It is a horrible stigma to deal with.I use special moist toilet paper and I always go to the toilet if I ever think that I think I may have soiled myself. It doesn't get so bad that I stain my underwear at all which makes a real change from life a year or two ago.Recently I was advised to take psyllium that has helped. In particular if I am using psyllium, it means that my body responds better to small doses of imodium when required. (By the way, here in the UK you can get the imodium active ingredient (loperamide) a LOT cheaper if you buy a generic brand in shops like Savers!)More important for me to work out is what is causing this. I have known that I am lactose intolerant for a while now and I use lactase tablets where required. I have also given up coffee and this helps also. I am trying to give up sugar which I am sure contributes but that is difficult to do. My question is: what should I do next? My doctor today offered a general blood test which I think will be useful. It tests for coeliac and diabetes.There are various expensive tests which claim to answer all my questions about intolerance but which are really expensive. There is one that is a lot cheaper that I can send away for but which sounds like it may give only a vague answer.Can anyone suggest how I can deal with these intolerances and if you have any particular ideas?RegardsRick

·
Registered
661 Posts
Have you had a colonoscopy? Even though you aren't in the age group yet where it is suggested, I would have one to make sure there isn't something seriously wrong. I'm not sure what you mean about smells. If you are soiling yourself I would try to get a prescription for Lomotil or something similar to help with the diarrhea

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HiThanks for the reply. Yes I had a colonoscopy in 2003. When I am talking about smells I do mean soiling myself. Thanks for the advice about that prescription drug. I am doing ok for the moment with regular Psyllium and Imodium. I cannot speak highly enough about moist toilet paper which I recently rediscovered and has really helped me a lot. I think that a lot of the problem with toilet paper was due to dry toilet paper irritating my bottom.RegardsRick

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.