Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If one suspects food poisoning what is the best way to deal with it? I ate fish for dinner last night and this morning I have cramping with left sided pain in my lower abdomen coupled with severe "D" and a nauseous feeling so I'm thinking the fish may have been off! While abroad early last year I had a very bad food poisoning bout which continued to trouble me after I got back home it lasted almost 6 months and I lost 20 lbs, I was afraid to eat, I lived on rice, applesauce, chicken, drank only water and herbal teas, whenever I would go off my bland diet I would have continuous "D" food and drink would go right through me.I should mention that I have suffered from IBS for over 25 years but often had long episodes of being free of it where I could eat and drink "normally". Since the severe food poisoning attack the IBS has become more frequent again, but symptoms have changed somewhat, now I may have "C" for several days at a time with painful gas and bloating often with left or right sided pain, then I usually will have explosive "D "for a few days with all that goes with it so I go back on my bland diet which I'm sure causes the "C". I have been taking "Florastor" for a couple of years and it helped a lot in the past but now it does not seem to be as effective, I also tried "Culterelle" way back but then that too stopped working, I was on "Linda's Calcium plan" for several years too, "Citrucel Fiber Therapy" also, "Phillips Colon Health" seemed to make my symptoms worse when I tried that for a month so I went back to the "Florastor" which I'm presently taking. I have severe reactions to prescription drugs and antibiotics I prefer the "natural remedies" which do help. Sorry to go on but the food poisoning episode was so horrendous it has made me somewhat paranoid about getting it again. I am drinking Chamomile tea right now as my abdomen is cramping badly and I feel so nauseous. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi GenieG (similar name to mine !), I too just had food poisoning. Started on Wed. Had severe diarhea with lots of mucus for 2 days. They took a stool culture and found a bacteria in it, so know they want me to take antibiotics. I am scared to take the antibiotics cause I'm afraid my IBS will get worse. And my diarhea has stopped, although I am still drinking mostly fluids and sort of scared to eat too much. I am in a quandary if I should take the antibiotics or not. I had the diarhea last week. By the time the test results came back, I don't know if I should take the antibiotics now that the diarhea is gone. My doctor did ask me if I still had the diarhea. Mostly gone. Still mucus though in stools. NOt sure what to do? Anyone have any ideas?Genie75

·
Registered
70 Posts
Anyways, I forgot to say what I'm doing/did for mine. I found that "juice" made the diarhea from food poisoning way worse. So I had to stop drinking juice and gingerale. I discovered that passion herbal tea, which is sort of sour did not cause any diarhea at all and mixed with very strong lemonade (strong on the lemon side) mixed with maple syrup, also did not cause any diarhea. So I am currently drinking a lot of that lemonade and I strained out all of the fiber. That gives me energy. I had started eating a half a peeled apple for the past 2 mornings together with a liquid probiotic meant for infants and nursing mothers (I react to probiotics with FOS in it, but I found one that doesnt' have it). And after the diarhea stopped, I am now eating 1 avocade for lunch. Cooked chicken or cooked fish for dinner. All in all I still don't have much of an appetite for meat yet, but my hunger is coming back. I'm still a bit afraid to eat. Worried I'll get sick again. But I did manage to eat 2 sunnyside up eggs today, a half a peeled apple, an avocade, and lots of lemonde. Hope you are feeling better soon. I am avoiding dairy like the plague at the moment. And I'm really not very keen on meat at the moment. Oh yeah, and I ate a lot of homemade veggie broth (just broth not veggies), for 3 days after the diarhea started tapering off. Made veggie broth out of yam, leeks, onions, ginger, garlic. Strained the broth out of it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Fellow "Genie", I'm sorry you too are suffering and I can sure relate to everything you are going through. Antibiotics messed me up big time. made me worse with the "D". Today I feel a little better because I finally took my step-daughter's advice about trying "raw potato juice". Her and her husband are into natural foods and remedies. Anyway I researched it and WOW the benefits of the potato are unbelievable, a couple of the articles specify that it will aid in curing food poisoning. Anyway, yesterday I managed to subtract a 1/2 glasss of juice from red potatoes and drank it before dinner, this morning I did the same before breakfast, I have no cramping, no "D" since taking it yesterday and I generally feel better. "Genie" research it for yourself, you'll find it very enlightening, I 'm hoping it will also help me ease my Arthritis problems. Actually, being one of my favorite veggies I've always included potatoes in my bland diet they never give me grief like some of my other favorite veggies do. Like most of us here I am very skeptical about so called cures but when reading all the articles I remembered back to my growing up in England when my Mom made a poultice of raw potato to put on my knee which was bruised and swollen after falling off my bike and when I would help her to peel them, she would give me a slice to eat raw, telling me it was good for me!Good Luck, let me know if you try it, it can't hurt you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.