Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found this group. Hello! I have been dx'd with IBS for several years. It started after a bout of acute diverticulitis. Had C-predoinant for several years, but in the past year or so have problems with Diarrhea. About 8 mo ago I became sensitive to protein - beef, fish, lamb. Would get diarrhea from eating even a tiny bit. Allergy testing was negative. Then I began eating a lot of chicken and recently became sensitive to that too. Numerous tests (blood, colonoscopy, upper GI) came back normal. Now I am extremely limited in what I can tolerate - eating bland diet with only eggs for protein. Also other things i used to be able to tolerate i cannot tolerate now either (eg canned pears). docs not able to help despite numerous visits and testing. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Would this be considered part of IBS? Appreciate any comments Thank you very much.RosieP.S. It's not just simple diarrhea that I get. Aftr the D resolves I have nausea, gas, sweats, and bloating for about a week.

·
Registered
63 Posts
This sounds very familiar. I have been living on a very limited diet for almost six years now. It's taken me a long time to figure out a diet that minimizes symptoms, and I'm pretty happy with where I'm at right now, but the diet is very restricted. There are also numerous foods I was able to have in the beginning, including canned pears, peas and peaches, that don't agree with me anymore. My diet presently essentially consists of white rice, boiled, skin-less white chicken, egg-white, cooked carrots or squash, bananas and lactose-free skim milk. - I hope you don't have to limit yourself to what I'm eating. Could it be that you're intolerant to the fat in certain meats and not the protein? At first, I also thought I was sensitive to protein, and then discovered it was really the fat I was intolerant to. Maybe you can have chicken if you only eat the white part and take the skin off before cooking. You might also want to try boiled sole or water-packed tuna. I'd stay away from beef and lamb, though - too fatty, and also too allergenic (at least the beef). I hope this works for you - at least you get some protein in eggs! - As to some of the other symptoms, I experience most of them too, esp. bloating. I always have bloating, despite my diet. I'm lucky not to have nausea (that's probably one of the worst symptoms to have
), but from what I read on this board, it can also be a symptom of IBS.Re. diet, there's a lot more info. in the Food/ Nutrition/ Diets/ Recipes Section, and also in the Books Section on this board. You may also want to look up this website for more dietary info: http://www.eatingforibs.com/ Good luck!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Same problem here, my diet is so restricted that I feel desperate sometimes. to make matter worse if I eat something for a while then I have to aviod it because it starts making me sick, I could eat corn,chicken,eggs and most fruits when my IBS started, I cannot eat any of those at the moment!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.