Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have found a trigger for my IBS -d-. We were at a friends for a bbq and they had homemade burgers. Delicious !!! so I asked what the secret ingredient was and he said " a piinch of Montreal Steak Spice ! The next day both my wife and I had a bad bout of the poops ! Then it dawned on me that this has happened before when we are there for a bbq and also at another freinds that uses the spice for everything from roasts to pork chops and steaks. ... All this time we have blamed the booze and now I think not .. Anyone else have experience with this spice ?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I've looked at a couple of sites for what is in this mix and it is hard to see a well known IBS trigger in that.Fatty meats can be a trigger, as can other barbeque foods, it maybe worth doing a test of the various ingredients if they are something you don't usually use and see if any of them are the culprit (but a lot of them are salt and pepper and other pretty commonly used things
)K.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think that the Montreal Steak seasoning has minced onions or garlic in it. Perhaps that is what is causing the problem. I know alot of people (myself included) have a reaction to those. Although I think there is a very small amount of those things in there and I have never had a problem with it which doesn't mean that your condition is not more sensitive to those ingredients.PS - Joolie, it is very yummy and it is good on just about every kind of meat (steak especially). It is a mixture of coarse salt, black and red pepper, garlic, and what is listed as "spices?!?" on the ingredients list.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Two other explanations could be the answer. One is that the bbq grill was not cleaned properly before eating, and the other is that if the chef uses the same tools to take off cooked meat that he's using to add or turn raw meat. Safe bbq'ing needs two sets of utensils, one for cooked, one for uncooked.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the feedback, appreciate it and gives me some ideas of what it might be. I never thought of the garlic in the spice, but as much as I love garlic, it does sometimes set me off. Thanks again

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
It could still be the fat and booze.Sometimes its the simple answer.There may even be other reasons for the problem.The act of eating itself can be a problem. Other foods you ate at the bbq even.For example the fat in mayonaise if that was on them.

·
Registered
254 Posts
It probably varies from person. I eat lots of garlic and onions without problems. Beef in general usually causes problems for me. It seems to be the fat content that triggers for me plus some other factors I haven't figured out yet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.