Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I read of others who say such and such food is a bad trigger etc I have to admit I'm a little envious that they've figured that out. In many years of experimentation I never have been able to. I do have other factors that sometimes seem to make my symptoms worse, e.g. when I'm feeling anxious and also when the weather is hot, but I've never noticed even this weak connection with anything I eat.So I'm wondering how common is it to see absolutely no correlation with the food you eat and the symptoms you get?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi , I too found eliminating foods trying to identify triggers too hard and my health seemed to fluctuate regardless of what i was eating, that said i have recently been on the specific carbohydrate diet and found myself feeling quite a bit better, though i have a more relaxed lifestyle and less stress of late too, i think alot of people share there view that there are multiple contributers foods being one.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I have tried eliminating foods from my diet and doing exclusion diets with the help of a Dietician but there was nothing that helped ease my symptoms,saying that my diet is very bland and i just stick to that and i take soya milk as ordinary milk makes me more nauseus.I am to frightened to try different types of foods or even a mild curry in case i react to it.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Many IBSers are triggered by the ACT of eating, not which foods.While some people find certain food triggers it is pretty standard that people find there isn't much difference no matter what diet they eat.Sometimes general characteristics of a meal (rather than which specific food) can make a meal harder on the system than others. High fat meals create a bigger gastrocolic reflex then smaller lighter meals do. Doesn't really matter which fat. It is a general reaction to fats.Some people find lower starch meals (or lower other undigestible carbs whether ones like sorbitol no human digests or things like fructose that only some humans have problems with) help.But those aren't specific food triggers.It is worth tracking your food and symptoms for a few weeks but for a lot of people it is other triggers (like physical stress if you didn't sleep well last night or mental stress going on) that determine if it is a good IBS day or a bad IBS day.I know we all want 100% of all IBS symptoms to be only about food, but usually food is just an innocent bystander. At least if it were diet only we feel we could control it. But even people who have food triggers often find that getting a cold or having a really stressful day at work will make things worse than they are at other times.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Right, I'm thinking at least if I could identify something concrete, I could take some reasonable action on it. If eating A caused B to happen, then I could simply just avoid eating A (unless it was chocolate of course which I could never give up). I don't usually have problems soon after eating like some folks. Rather, it's usually in the morning that my peristalsis goes on overdrive. Often I'll think Hmm, what did I eat yesterday that could cause this? and I fail to find any consistent pattern. Conversely when I'm having good days I'll muse about all the junk I've been eating and how it doesn't seem to matter. This is good in the sense that I pretty much eat what I want, however I would gladly trade that in to control the cursed unpredictability of this affliction. I think that's the worst part for me, since I don't really know what sets it off, it makes me feel out of control, and whenever I try and make plans, the doubt starts creeping in. On the other hand, I try and be philisophical about it - that everybody's faced with uncertainty in life, it's just the way things are, so you just have to cope with it as best you can.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
That increase in activity around waking up time is independent of eating. I think it would happen even if you were fasting. It is part of the rhythm of the body.That "wake up colon" signal is when the colon is at its most active in all people. When you have IBS that tends to make it a likely time for symptoms.

·
Registered
25 Posts
What works one day doesn't necessarily work another day. I have identified a handful of safe foods. I could live on organic eggs, onions, tomatoes, garlic, cultured butter, blueberries and raw organic cashews. I'm missing a couple of others but the rest is completely unpredictable. Everything I've read about this disease says that there is no rhyme nor reason to what we can or cannot eat. Therefore identifying is pretty much an impossible task. I started logging what I ate and monitored it for months. I've found selecting and focusing on the handful of safe foods works best. Anything outside of the safe list is a risk. I finally found a little restaurant with organic foods and ate a soup there. I had no problems, went back and ordered the same thing and no problems. The third time I'd lost the soup before I left the restaurant. It's a "####" shoot! On my bad days when I've lost everything but I'm famished which is normal, I fix eggs. It's the one thing I know I can hold.

·
Registered
312 Posts
here are my food triggers that iv found soo far btw i get IBS-D and or gas if i eat the the trigger foods also i never suffer from constipationalso il throw in the foods that cause my body alot of problems besides IBS-Dnuts and seeds way too high fiber hurts my gut and also alot of the time the mixed nuts can have an old rancid one put in with them and they make me feel sickhowever its possible if the nuts and seeds were prepaired speically with less fiber and are good i may beable to eat them once every 2-3 days i thinkvegetables that are too high in fiber cause me problemsi found out i must be allergic to milk i cant eat any whipping cream or sour cream with out geting problems but i can eat cheesecan't eat anything thats too high in carbohydrates like pasta or bread or candy or potatoscan't handle starchescan't eat any soy it does horrors to my body not IBS related but other horrors as seen at this linkhttp://www.soyonlineservice.co.nz/i don't eat aspartame or any junk food heres a good video showing why no amount of junk food is safe to eathttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCwVAkrHLq4...=rec-r2-2r-4-HMeating more than 80 grams of carbohydrates in a day , i must stay a fat burning metabolism or els i get sick and IBS-D can get bad then.eating 55 or more grams of carbohydrates in a single meal , can cause problems with the fat i eat then and may spike blood sugardrinking large amounts of liquid fat dripings from cooked meat... but that hurts everyones gut you can't absorb all that liquid fat in 1 sittingmostly have to avoid all the packaged things at the stores and food from restaurants i try to eat as naturally as possible like the food people ate for over 99% of are entire exsistence before all these bad types of carbohydrates came aroundnow for the foods im ok with---------foods i can eat quite alot oflow carb,low fiber vegetableshealthy olive oil and or sunflower oil------foods i can eat as much as i wantall types of animal stuff organs , meat , fateggs , unsalted butter , lots of different types of cheese but not all types of cheese some cheese i can't eat any of----------foods i can only eat a little ofberries once every 2-3 days or 1 piece of fruit every 2-3 days----------my diet seems strict but it works great for me i don't suffer from IBS-D or any gas or stomach problems at all when i follow it

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Ziggy,I too never used to suffer from constipation until I started taking loperamide regularly about 5 years ago. So I now suffer from an artificial constipation at times,so basically I can't really win!I can luckily eat almost anything I want although I try to avoid fast foods anyway,I hate burgers anyway so that has never been a problem.It's just like this disease to not make it as simple as eliminating a food source to provide a remedy and it's what makes sufferers lives so miserable.

·
Registered
312 Posts
jmc09 ya iv read and heard a few more people now there is people out there that can't fix there problems just by changeing what they eatit helps alot of people but not everyone. im lucky that God and it has saved my life i 100% manage my IBS-D now it if i eat 100% accurately. i also cured my obesity and prevented type 2 diabetes/heart disease

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Well done Ziggy I'm pleased for you.Paradoxically my bowel problems all go back to a first flare up soon after losing a lot of weight very quickly,although I was never obese just a stone or so overweight.I think certain diets can help everybody in varying degrees but I think it all boils down to,as Kathleen says,the ACT of eating and how our bodies react to that act of eating.At least that's the way it works for me and many others.I am fortunate that I'm a healthy weight and exercise regularly and eat semi healthily so there are not really any other conclusions other than Kathleens statement.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts