Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My IBS came on a little over a yr ago. I started changing my diet and I follow (as best as I can) Heather Van Vorous books. When I eliminate the foods she says to from my diet I am completely in the clear from IBS attacks. Wen I don't like the other day I decided to eat cheeze doodles I get an attack. Sometimes my "attacks" though aren't attacks at all! I'll get gassy and then get constipation but it doesnt hurt I just dont go for a few days and then finally I do. I also notice my carb in take is very high and I can noT LOSE any weight. What veggies do you guys eat? What keeps you healthy? I like staying on a lower carb diet and higher protein but I can no longer do that with IBS and I feel gross!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I stay away from most starches like bread and pasta. I eat a lot of long grain rice (no minute rice!) and that always settles well. I can only eat potatoes that have been cooked very well and not fried, of course. Asparagus, lima beans, green beans, and carrots never bother me. As for protein, I eat a lot of fresh fish, baked or grilled. I now stay away from foods that contain preservatives, they make me very ill. I do not eat much of any dairy. I eat lactose-free milk with organic, wheat-free cereal because the fiber really makes me sick. Also, I stay away from ALL sodas. I only drink water, sparkling water with organic juice (no sugar), and iced tea. Sounds kinda boring but you get used to it and it is so much better for you.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I eat low carb, high protein most of the time and find it helps my IBS. Also it keeps my blood sugar stable so I don't snack much.I can't tolerate much pasta or rice (a shame because I love it), and I limit bread to 4 slices a day (wholemeal).I avoid veg from the brassica family, as it's notorious for producing gas. That's broccoli, beans, cabbage, cauliflower. Some people also have problems with peas and sweetcorn because the tough outer skin is not digested easily and 'feeds' gas-producing bacteria in the gut.The veg that is 'safe' for me: carrots, mushrooms, leeks, fennel, peppers, courgettes, marrow, squash. I have 2 or 3 portions of veg a day, with lean protein such as chicken, turkey, eggs or trimmed pork. Other foods I can eat include bananas, cherries, sesame seed bars and small quantities of halava (sweet made of mashed sesame seeds sold in Asian supermarkets/ healthfood shops).I avoid all dairy products as they trigger severe cramps, gas and explosive d.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.