Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyone out there who can eat pretty much everything one day and not be bothered, but try the same foods a day or two or a week later, and have D all the next day? I find this happens to me a lot, so aside from really rich, and fried foods and fast-foods (which bothered me before I developed IBS), I can't pinpoint anything specific. For example I can eat a banana and it can send me into spasms within a 1/2 hr., and the next day I can do the same and nothing happens. How do you determine what is really a no-no? I have been using the CVS calcium D (purple box) and have had no D for the past 6 days. I'm knocking on wood!!!!

·
Registered
280 Posts
I can eat something one day and be fine...eat the same thing the next day and have instant D. I know the feeling! Like you said what foods are no-nos. It is for this reason that I am so afraid to try to eat out once in a while. My family would love to go out to a resturant. There have been so many time I just sit and have something to drink while they eat. I too have just recently started taking calcium and so far I haven't had any attacks...but then I have been watching what I eat really good too. Keep fingers crossed that it's working!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I,too, have had this experience with foods,unevenly be the cause/not of getting "D". I think this is one reason why this condition can be so exasperating. You can plan, and try to change your eating patterns to foods that you think will be "safe" only to find that your intestines are in an uproar,again! That's the true challenge,I guess. At this point you have to find something to laugh at so you don't go crazy!Jan

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have this "issue" as well. It is very frustrating, especially when I order something I ate that was OK last time, and this time I double over in pain. I have read that this depends on how much stress you're under at the moment, what is in your stomach at the time, and what you've had to eat earlier that day AND the day before. I try to keep this in mind when I'm out. Maybe it can help you...Karen

·
Registered
23,983 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Some days hamburgers don't bother me, and some days one saltine cracker and water will bother me! I have found that meal size seems to help me... 5 or 6 small meals instead of 3 big ones. Also, I have been taking one Caltrate each day for three weeks and my digestive system actually has seemed kind of normal. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Some days I question the authority who says there is always a trigger. Being alive is one obvious trigger. Being dead is one obvious solution. But let's get real. We are looking for better solutions. I often conclude our bodies are going to do what they will and we are just along for the ride. We try this magic diet and that magic pill and it works for an hour, day, or couple days, then POOF it's failing. Try some other combo, some other mumbojumbo hoohaa. Never give up. Look for cause, look for trigger. Do this, try that, don't eat x........Go crazy but keep going. Unhappy person here. Irritable Person Syndrome here. Sick day after thinking I might have found my miracle in pepcid ac. Oh well, what's new?

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
What some people forget to do is look at what they drink, sauces, dressings, and condiments; as triggers do not only come in food staples that we eat. The biggest one for me was in juices which I was downing like a fiend. A majority of them contain various sweeteners and citric acid. This is bad for bloating problems. Some teas, and sodas have it in too, and it is naturaly in coffee. Even lemon water bothers me.

G

·
I can have a glass of red wine one day but if I have one the next day then I suffer. If I were to have One glass of red wine once every two weeks I'm okay. Though this is totally unscientific it's almost like your body can handle so much of a product and then it can almost turn poisionous or something. These , I feel , should be treated as trigger food but in moderation you should be able to enjoy once in awhile. Or maybe I'm totally wrong and your body plays little trickes on you and there is no rhyme or reason. Boy have I been alot of help huh? It's one of the mysteries of IBS.

G

·
Well, you guys said it all! I really can't find but a few true food triggers with this IBS-D. What I don't like is that I seem to do better with unhealthy foods than I do with healthy ones. I really prefer to eat healthy, but it has been hard.

G

·
I have the same problem. In fact, yesterday I had a burger and fries for lunch and was in the bathroom 20 minutes later. Today I apprehensively ate the same exact thing and I'm fine. I've also started taking Caltrate. It hasn't solved the problem, but I feel a little more confident and I'm going to keep using it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Joan....I agree with what you say about "the authorities say something is triggering it". Well Duhhhhhhhh No Kidding! It's like they say stress and anxiety causes it...well how can you help but not be anxious and stressed when you can pass uncontrollable gas or poop at any given minute no matter where you are or what you are doing? I was never stressed before this disease hit me. I had a pretty happy, good life. And it really ticks me off if someone evens hints at the idea that it's all in my head. Guess I needed to vent a little here. Well anyway, have you given the calcium a try? It is working for me. Thanks for your input...

G

·
POTTYGIRL.... Soy sauce, garlic and bananas seem to the only ones I truly can say aggravate it. But there are some things I do better with than others. Beef is better than chicken, bacon and eggs are better than cereal, margaritas are better than beer!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi Potty Girl - I am an IBSer of the past 27 years and maybe I can help with my list of noo=nos learned over these past years: NO liquor of any sort, no nuts or seeds(this includes tomatoes, sesame seed buns, etc. also all berries) no milk , no sodas or anything cArbonated, no salads(use V8 instead), pasta salad okay, only cooked or canned vegetables, but no gas forming ones, cooked or canned fruits - on trips, only bottled water. No spices, or Mexican food, no Nutrasweet, MSG, and no charcoal broiled foods. Hope this helps. Ursula

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hi Fatigued. You sound a lot like me. Protein, particularly animal protein, seems most tolerable, carbs and fats least. As I read about acid reflux (GERD), I see that those folks have a lot of the same experience. Now I am finding that another thing that helps those folks helps me: ANTACIDS. I hope someday to be able to take enough antacids to be able to eat everything including oranges, mints, chocolate, sodapop, bread, cereal, fruit, dairy, salad with dressing, vitamin supplements, etc..............At the health food store I asked for their antacids and they directed me to an item full of -ases like lactase to help digest all those various kinds of sugars and starches. Too new to give me a sense of results yet. It's called ABSORB AID.I think when I can eat a food one day but not another, it isn't this food now that is the trigger causing the problem because the problem often does not show up till 6-36 hours later. Something I ate before arrives at a point in the system where the body can't tolerate it a bit longer and starts to drive it out. When you have D the body is winning and you are getting rid of the poison, when you have C the body fights longer and harder and the poison sensation (and starved feeling) go on and on even with only a single serving of that bad-for-you food. Of course if it's something you eat daily, you are bound to be very sick very often. And the more you try to eat the healthy diet full of veggies, the sicker some of us (LIKE ME) are likely to be. This morning I tried vitamin E again. Used to be a problem, I thought. Well, it hit the stomach and inside 30 seconds it was pain right there, it seemed. I have to try it a few more times to be sure it's always that way and that the pain wasn't from something else and just happened to strike coincidentally then.Too many variables. Too hard to figure out what's what.

G

·
Joan.... interesting what you said about GERD, antacids and the high protein connection. They discovered I had ulcers last year and I am currently taking Prevacid for it. The ulcers are most likely gone (I get rechecked next month) but if I miss a dose of the Prevacid the GERD symptoms return. I used to take OTC antacids with no results, Prevacid really does the trick! Have you been diagnosed with GERD or talked with your Doc about it?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ursula, You seem to be on the same list I have. All the things I like best are on the list. I really miss a good salad, but would not get even close to one anymore. Veggies well cooked, nothing raw. I agree the trigger foods are different on different days, but many days it doesn't matter it will happen no matter how careful I eat. I am looking forward to the cookbook coming out. When people talk about a balanced diet I think this is impossible.Mary Jo

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.