Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi allI am looking for some advice. I have undiagnosed IBS, switching between constipation and diarhea. I also have scoliosis, a curve of the spine.Often, my stomach swells up, and it appears that I am really tubby. However, it is just trapped wind and air. I really am keen tomake it go away. I have recently cut out bread and pasta from my diet which has helped a bit. However, I drink 5 cups of coffee a day, is this a proabale cause of bloating?Thanks in advanceS

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Coffee could be, it tends to stimulate the colon (so would move wind/gas out) but some of bloating is the abdominal wall relaxing out so it doesn't put pressure on the colon and the colon, when more active, can be more sensitive than pressure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Coffee could be, it tends to stimulate the colon (so would move wind/gas out) but some of bloating is the abdominal wall relaxing out so it doesn't put pressure on the colon and the colon, when more active, can be more sensitive than pressure.
thanks, so you think coffee likely to be an issue?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
It might be. It isn't for everyone.You might cut back on the caffeine (and don't drink something else with caffeine to replace the coffee) for a few weeks. I'd do a gradual cut back as cold turkey can sometimes have side effects. If after a few weeks of 0-1 cups of coffee a day you aren't any different, then it probably isn't a big issue for you. It would be nice if we all had the same triggers and sensitivities, but it just really varies.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It might be. It isn't for everyone.You might cut back on the caffeine (and don't drink something else with caffeine to replace the coffee) for a few weeks. I'd do a gradual cut back as cold turkey can sometimes have side effects. If after a few weeks of 0-1 cups of coffee a day you aren't any different, then it probably isn't a big issue for you. It would be nice if we all had the same triggers and sensitivities, but it just really varies.
Thanks, one gradual cut back coming up

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi allI am looking for some advice. I have undiagnosed IBS, switching between constipation and diarhea. I also have scoliosis, a curve of the spine.Often, my stomach swells up, and it appears that I am really tubby. However, it is just trapped wind and air. I really am keen tomake it go away. I have recently cut out bread and pasta from my diet which has helped a bit. However, I drink 5 cups of coffee a day, is this a proabale cause of bloating?Thanks in advanceS

·
Registered
6 Posts
Coffee issues .... I discovered that my morning coffee ritual (4-5 cups) was triggering my gastrocolic reflex causing complete emptying of the large colon. Here's what I did ...I bought regular and decaf coffee .... mixed 1 part decaf to 3 parts regular ... kept this up for 2-3 weeks and couldn't even tell the difference. Using the method, I gradually worked my up to 3 parts decaf and 1 part regular. Now the tough part ... I gradually cut down on the cups .... I now do 2.5 or 3 cups, depending on what I have for breakfast ... I'm used to this now and I don't have the issues I used to haveHope this helps .

·
Registered
14 Posts
I love coffee but unless I drink decaf I suffer for it. On my bad days, even decaf gives me misery. I've found peppermint tea sort of fills the void when I'm having a really bad spell. Sorry, I know how tough it is to cut back on our beloved coffee.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts