Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read Angelmom's question for you and your response. I too have had similiar experiences. I had small bouts of IBS when in high school. But then it hit me "big time" at age 25. I am now 44. When I was pregnant with my first child (at age 33), my IBS disapeared and I felt great, but returned right after the birth! With my second pregnancy, the IBS was still there, and after the birth became alot worse for about 3 yrs. Now I am back to my normal IBS. I think now I am very close to hitting menopause. So now I am even more curious about the "hormone" connection. I would be very interested in whatever you find out........Thanks so muchpac

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Okay pac, I will see what I can find out. One thing is that IBS is the dysregulation of these hormones and neurotransmitters, so this plays a huge part in symptoms.The most specific of these neurotransmitters and one of the ones that has the most effect and has been studied the most is serotonin.You might want to read the Dr Weil thread for some more on this.------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forum.I work with Mike building his websites. www.ibsaudioprogram and www.healthyaudio.com I also work with Mike in IBS clinical trials using Mikes tapes at an IBS research facility.My own website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com Please visit for accurate information on IBS.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Okay pac, I will see what I can find out. One thing is that IBS is the dysregulation of these hormones and neurotransmitters, so this plays a huge part in symptoms.The most specific of these neurotransmitters and one of the ones that has the most effect and has been studied the most is serotonin.You might want to read the Dr Weil thread for some more on this.------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forum.I work with Mike building his websites. www.ibsaudioprogram and www.healthyaudio.com I also work with Mike in IBS clinical trials using Mikes tapes at an IBS research facility.My own website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com Please visit for accurate information on IBS.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Eric,Thanks so much!!!!!Are you saying that hormones can effect seretonin or responses to seretonin????I guess I am a little confused! I will read the article you mentioned! pac

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Eric,Thanks so much!!!!!Are you saying that hormones can effect seretonin or responses to seretonin????I guess I am a little confused! I will read the article you mentioned! pac

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Pac here is some info.Its the Mind body digestive center in new york. It uses frames so I cannot post the direct link. On the left hand side though is women IBS and hormones which is worth reading. It can give some insight into this. http://www.mindbodydigestive.com/ ------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forum.I work with Mike building his websites. www.ibsaudioprogram and www.healthyaudio.com I also work with Mike in IBS clinical trials using Mikes tapes at an IBS research facility.My own website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com Please visit for accurate information on IBS.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Pac here is some info.Its the Mind body digestive center in new york. It uses frames so I cannot post the direct link. On the left hand side though is women IBS and hormones which is worth reading. It can give some insight into this. http://www.mindbodydigestive.com/ ------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forum.I work with Mike building his websites. www.ibsaudioprogram and www.healthyaudio.com I also work with Mike in IBS clinical trials using Mikes tapes at an IBS research facility.My own website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com Please visit for accurate information on IBS.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Eric,I checked out the website you suggested.I was very impressed with it. The article about female hormones and IBS was ok- basicly it just said that there may be a link.But I read the article about a study that was done using Chinese Herbs- and the sucess rate looked pretty good!Thanks so much for all the info!!!!!You have been a great help!And thanks for listening! This bulletin board has been great for me- it's nice to know that people understand and care and help each other.pac

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Eric,I checked out the website you suggested.I was very impressed with it. The article about female hormones and IBS was ok- basicly it just said that there may be a link.But I read the article about a study that was done using Chinese Herbs- and the sucess rate looked pretty good!Thanks so much for all the info!!!!!You have been a great help!And thanks for listening! This bulletin board has been great for me- it's nice to know that people understand and care and help each other.pac

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.