Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
288 Posts
In a nutshell, mammals are not designed to consume dairy products past the time of infancy. Think wolf, elephant, whale, dog...Caucasians of Western European decent are also in the group of people who traditionally have a hard time consuming dairy products.I don't agree with the statement about drinking milk as a child. I consumed a TON of dairy products as a child and didn't have a problem whatsoever. But once puberty hit, everything changed. Personally I believe that with the hormonal shift of onset of puberty has something to do with the onset of IBS. (Flux, you aren't required to disagree with this.)There have been some studies of lactose intolerant people increasing their tolerance. The theory claims that after infancy everyone is lactase persistent to some degree - everyone can have just a little bit of, let's say, milk. If that person slowly increases the amount of milk over a period of time, the body with increase the lactase enzyme production to accomodate the need. Personally, I'm not willing to test it since A. I consumed gallons of milk with no problems until age 10 andB. I've already spent too many years in the bathroomSteve Carper's book "Milk is Not for Every Body" has a lot of good information about lactose intolerance. There's also a website you can read for the latest information.Oh yeah, by the way... After 20+ years of severe diarrhea, gas, and pain, last November I found relief with 300 mg of calcium with every meal. No more IBS. : )Good luck!

· Registered
288 Posts
In a nutshell, mammals are not designed to consume dairy products past the time of infancy. Think wolf, elephant, whale, dog...Caucasians of Western European decent are also in the group of people who traditionally have a hard time consuming dairy products.I don't agree with the statement about drinking milk as a child. I consumed a TON of dairy products as a child and didn't have a problem whatsoever. But once puberty hit, everything changed. Personally I believe that with the hormonal shift of onset of puberty has something to do with the onset of IBS. (Flux, you aren't required to disagree with this.)There have been some studies of lactose intolerant people increasing their tolerance. The theory claims that after infancy everyone is lactase persistent to some degree - everyone can have just a little bit of, let's say, milk. If that person slowly increases the amount of milk over a period of time, the body with increase the lactase enzyme production to accomodate the need. Personally, I'm not willing to test it since A. I consumed gallons of milk with no problems until age 10 andB. I've already spent too many years in the bathroomSteve Carper's book "Milk is Not for Every Body" has a lot of good information about lactose intolerance. There's also a website you can read for the latest information.Oh yeah, by the way... After 20+ years of severe diarrhea, gas, and pain, last November I found relief with 300 mg of calcium with every meal. No more IBS. : )Good luck!

· Registered
288 Posts
quote: Who made this up?
I just can't wait for you to provide a lengthy list of mammals that consume milk past infancy. Please, impress us with your superior knowledge.
quote: Americans clearly do not.
I can't WAIT for you to define "Americans". This gets better and better all the time!
quote:Western Europeans probably have not been tested thoroughly to know if this is true.
I'm sorry. You apparently have never heard of people moving to North America from Western Europe. They're called i-m-m-i-g-r-a-n-t-s.
quote: But I do.
And yet somehow YOU have never shared with the rest of us YOUR terrible struggle with IBS. Hmmm, one would be lead to believe you are far less credible than you would like to make yourself seem. Let's hear your story - we're all ears.
quote: No, the theory is that the colon adjusts to it.
You obviously only read material that supports your opinion. Please, do tell, exactly how DOES the colon "adjust" to it?Steve Carper's book "Milk is Not for Every Body" has a lot of good information about lactose intolerance. There's also a website you can read for the latest information.
quote: It's about four years out of date.
Hmmm, and could that be why I followed it up with "also a website you can read for the latest information"? You have a difficult time admitting that your wrong, don't ya Fluxxy Boy?

· Registered
288 Posts
quote: Who made this up?
I just can't wait for you to provide a lengthy list of mammals that consume milk past infancy. Please, impress us with your superior knowledge.
quote: Americans clearly do not.
I can't WAIT for you to define "Americans". This gets better and better all the time!
quote:Western Europeans probably have not been tested thoroughly to know if this is true.
I'm sorry. You apparently have never heard of people moving to North America from Western Europe. They're called i-m-m-i-g-r-a-n-t-s.
quote: But I do.
And yet somehow YOU have never shared with the rest of us YOUR terrible struggle with IBS. Hmmm, one would be lead to believe you are far less credible than you would like to make yourself seem. Let's hear your story - we're all ears.
quote: No, the theory is that the colon adjusts to it.
You obviously only read material that supports your opinion. Please, do tell, exactly how DOES the colon "adjust" to it?Steve Carper's book "Milk is Not for Every Body" has a lot of good information about lactose intolerance. There's also a website you can read for the latest information.
quote: It's about four years out of date.
Hmmm, and could that be why I followed it up with "also a website you can read for the latest information"? You have a difficult time admitting that your wrong, don't ya Fluxxy Boy?

· Registered
288 Posts
Flux,Thank you for your thoughtful response about which mammals consume milk after infancy. The list was thorough and quite extensive. I am getting the inkling that you must be involved in zoology.I need to correct my first post. I meant to type Eastern Europe instead of Western Europe.Over the years I've had a difficult time deciding who is "American" and who is not. Little did I know that I could have just written you and learned that Americans are people living in Minneapolis-St. Paul Minnesota.As so many of us have said on the chat board, none of us really have all of the answers. So many of us have had different symptoms, different tests, and different life experiences that, collectively, it is sometimes difficult to find concrete patterns between our cases of IBS. That being said, I need to ask if you emailed Steve Carper about the last time his website was updated. It seems grossly unfair to someone who trying to provide the public with information that may help them manage their dietary lives to post something that is probably completely false.But don't fret, I emailed him for you and asked.
I can see it now, when losing at a checkers, you were most likely the kid who picked up the board and threw across the room so "no one could win"...

· Registered
288 Posts
Flux,Thank you for your thoughtful response about which mammals consume milk after infancy. The list was thorough and quite extensive. I am getting the inkling that you must be involved in zoology.I need to correct my first post. I meant to type Eastern Europe instead of Western Europe.Over the years I've had a difficult time deciding who is "American" and who is not. Little did I know that I could have just written you and learned that Americans are people living in Minneapolis-St. Paul Minnesota.As so many of us have said on the chat board, none of us really have all of the answers. So many of us have had different symptoms, different tests, and different life experiences that, collectively, it is sometimes difficult to find concrete patterns between our cases of IBS. That being said, I need to ask if you emailed Steve Carper about the last time his website was updated. It seems grossly unfair to someone who trying to provide the public with information that may help them manage their dietary lives to post something that is probably completely false.But don't fret, I emailed him for you and asked.
I can see it now, when losing at a checkers, you were most likely the kid who picked up the board and threw across the room so "no one could win"...

· Registered
288 Posts
quote: There was no need. He states this on the page...
Oh but I must. Again, you are mistaken. Here is the email reply from Mr. Carper:Well, first of all, my web site is about lactose intolerance. I do have a fewreferences there to IBS, because many people do have both, although the details are still not well understood. But the vast majority ofthe 100+ pages are about LI. And a quick check will show that they are updated regularly.I put up the Research section as an experiment. I read as much of the medicalresearch on LI as I can find in my local medical school library.It turns out that it's not a field in which not much changes over time. The basics arewell understood and most of the articles are technical ones that would bore the socks off most readers. I now put any real news into the news pages.I know there are newer articles in the journals on LI and IBS. I myself haveboth so I follow the research closely. I've been thinking of expanding my coverage of IBS. But it's a relatively low priority compared with just keeping up with all the other changes.If you want information about LI, I believe my site is the best there is. If you want information on IBS you need to go to an IBS page. I give links to a good many of them.And if you know of a site that has authoritative information on the connection between LI and IBS, please let me know.Best,Steve CarperSo you see, Fluxxy Boy, once again you have opened your mouth and stuck your foot right in it. Someday you will learn that you're not always right.

· Registered
288 Posts
kmottus,Your opinion highly valued on this board. Yes, I've seen cats who looove milk (lactose tolerant after centuries of domesticity). But I've also seen cats who drink it, but can't digest it (lactose intolerance). I think cats are a perfect example. Thank you.Lisa L and atp,(mkoonie takes a bow) Thank you! Thank you! Don't forget friends, the Flux who throws the checker board never loses...

· Registered
288 Posts
kmottus,Your opinion highly valued on this board. Yes, I've seen cats who looove milk (lactose tolerant after centuries of domesticity). But I've also seen cats who drink it, but can't digest it (lactose intolerance). I think cats are a perfect example. Thank you.Lisa L and atp,(mkoonie takes a bow) Thank you! Thank you! Don't forget friends, the Flux who throws the checker board never loses...

· Registered
288 Posts
Since I discovered this board nearly a year ago, I've been patiently waiting for Flux to describe for us how he copes with the symptoms of IBS. Y'know, EXPLAIN why he is so frequently on this board telling the rest of us that weren't idiotic believers of myths, why he is the self-proclaimed "myth buster", as well as why there he has a stack medical journals in his john.Now that my hair has turned a silvery gray, I will relenquish my hope that Flux actually has IBS. I will now direct the energy of my vigil to Fluxxy sharing his day-to-day trials with lactose intolerance. This approach worked for Ghandi, right?
[This message has been edited by mkoonie (edited 09-24-2001).]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.