Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
33,934 Posts
Nothing your mother ate or drank will effect how your lactase gene works.There is no mechanism for the behavior of the parent to influence the genetics of the child. Well other than exposing yourself to mutagens.If you are going to stop producing lactase that is independant of the behavior of the mother.That she didn't drink milk when she was pregnant may be an indication that she was intolerant of it and passed those genes on to you, but her behavior did not influence your lactase gene.K.------------------�When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall�Think of it, ALWAYS. �Mahatma GandhiMy story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html I do not work for anyone who sells any IBS related products.

· Registered
33,934 Posts
Nothing your mother ate or drank will effect how your lactase gene works.There is no mechanism for the behavior of the parent to influence the genetics of the child. Well other than exposing yourself to mutagens.If you are going to stop producing lactase that is independant of the behavior of the mother.That she didn't drink milk when she was pregnant may be an indication that she was intolerant of it and passed those genes on to you, but her behavior did not influence your lactase gene.K.------------------�When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall�Think of it, ALWAYS. �Mahatma GandhiMy story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html I do not work for anyone who sells any IBS related products.

· Registered
33,934 Posts
quote:I just can't wait for you to provide a lengthy list of mammals that consume milk past infancy. Please, impress us with your superior knowledge.
Ever own a cat?? It may make some cats stools loose, but cats of all kinds will drink milk until they die if they are allowed. So would all the dogs that we owned.My understanding of animal behavior is most animals stop drinking milk because Mom won't let them anymore, not because suddenly it makes them so sick that they stop drinking it of their own volition. Generally a nursing Mom won't be able to get pregnant again so if Baby/Litter #1 doesn't get weaned then Baby/Litter #2 won't ever get born.There are a fair number of adult animals that I have seen on various animal shows that do IN FACT drink milk. (assuming that the videos weren't all faked). Milk is used quite a bit in training tigers. The LOVE it, even as adults. They will take a milk carton and open it up enough that it will dribble. The Tiger will concentrate very hard on getting that dribble of milk and it gives them the time they need to do minor veteranary type things without having to put the tiger under everytime they need to do something. Additionally on Animal Planet's Funniest Videos there have been any number of lactating (which would indicate they are adults, right??) milk cows drinking their own milk when squirted at them by the farmer milking them. There was even one acrobatic cow that could get it's head around to drink from her own teat.K.------------------�When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall�Think of it, ALWAYS. �Mahatma GandhiMy story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html I do not work for anyone who sells any IBS related products.

· Registered
33,934 Posts
quote:I just can't wait for you to provide a lengthy list of mammals that consume milk past infancy. Please, impress us with your superior knowledge.
Ever own a cat?? It may make some cats stools loose, but cats of all kinds will drink milk until they die if they are allowed. So would all the dogs that we owned.My understanding of animal behavior is most animals stop drinking milk because Mom won't let them anymore, not because suddenly it makes them so sick that they stop drinking it of their own volition. Generally a nursing Mom won't be able to get pregnant again so if Baby/Litter #1 doesn't get weaned then Baby/Litter #2 won't ever get born.There are a fair number of adult animals that I have seen on various animal shows that do IN FACT drink milk. (assuming that the videos weren't all faked). Milk is used quite a bit in training tigers. The LOVE it, even as adults. They will take a milk carton and open it up enough that it will dribble. The Tiger will concentrate very hard on getting that dribble of milk and it gives them the time they need to do minor veteranary type things without having to put the tiger under everytime they need to do something. Additionally on Animal Planet's Funniest Videos there have been any number of lactating (which would indicate they are adults, right??) milk cows drinking their own milk when squirted at them by the farmer milking them. There was even one acrobatic cow that could get it's head around to drink from her own teat.K.------------------�When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall�Think of it, ALWAYS. �Mahatma GandhiMy story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html I do not work for anyone who sells any IBS related products.

· Registered
33,934 Posts
LisaLets say you drink hot chocolate 100 times.50 times it is made with milk50 times it's made with hot waterOne time you have diarrhea and you ask them what they made it with and they said milk.That isn't evidence that milk is necessarily the problem.There are LOTS of things that cause diarrhea. Now if you ask Most of the time after you had hot chocolate *regardless* of having problems and checked out how often that it was what sort of hot chocolate that would be a different thing. Esp if you drank it "blind" and didn't know which method of production it was.And most hot chocolate that is made with hot water has powdered milk in it so all of it has lactose. It may be less powdered than making it from milk and cocao but I'm not sureHere's what I could find
quote:No sugar added Hot Cocoa Mix:------------------------------------------------------------------------Nutrition�Facts Amount�per�Serving� %DV* Amount�per�Serving� %DV*Serving Size:1 envelope (15g) ------------------------------------------------------------------------Total Fat 1g 2% Total Carb. 10g 3%���Sat. Fat�0g 0% ���Dietary Fiber <1g 3%Calories 50 Cholesterol 0mg 0% ���Sugars 7g**���Calories�from�Fat 10 Sodium 150mg 6% Protein 2gCaffeine 12.5 mg------------------------------------------------------------------------Vitamin�A�0%, Vitamin�C�0%, Calcium�8%, Iron�4%�*Percent Daily Values based on 2,000 calorie diet.**from lactose (milk sugar)� ------------------------------------------------------------------------Ingredients: Sweet dairy whey, cocoa (processed with alkali), maltodextrin, nonfat dry milk, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, silicon dioxide, cellulose gum, soy lecithin, aspartame*, salt, dipotassium phosphate, artificial flavor, mono & diglycerides.*Phenylketonurics: contains phenylalanine.
Compare to 1 8oz glass of milk that has 12 grams of lactose...http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/1391.htmlK.------------------�When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall�Think of it, ALWAYS. �Mahatma GandhiMy story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html I do not work for anyone who sells any IBS related products.

· Registered
33,934 Posts
LisaLets say you drink hot chocolate 100 times.50 times it is made with milk50 times it's made with hot waterOne time you have diarrhea and you ask them what they made it with and they said milk.That isn't evidence that milk is necessarily the problem.There are LOTS of things that cause diarrhea. Now if you ask Most of the time after you had hot chocolate *regardless* of having problems and checked out how often that it was what sort of hot chocolate that would be a different thing. Esp if you drank it "blind" and didn't know which method of production it was.And most hot chocolate that is made with hot water has powdered milk in it so all of it has lactose. It may be less powdered than making it from milk and cocao but I'm not sureHere's what I could find
quote:No sugar added Hot Cocoa Mix:------------------------------------------------------------------------Nutrition�Facts Amount�per�Serving� %DV* Amount�per�Serving� %DV*Serving Size:1 envelope (15g) ------------------------------------------------------------------------Total Fat 1g 2% Total Carb. 10g 3%���Sat. Fat�0g 0% ���Dietary Fiber <1g 3%Calories 50 Cholesterol 0mg 0% ���Sugars 7g**���Calories�from�Fat 10 Sodium 150mg 6% Protein 2gCaffeine 12.5 mg------------------------------------------------------------------------Vitamin�A�0%, Vitamin�C�0%, Calcium�8%, Iron�4%�*Percent Daily Values based on 2,000 calorie diet.**from lactose (milk sugar)� ------------------------------------------------------------------------Ingredients: Sweet dairy whey, cocoa (processed with alkali), maltodextrin, nonfat dry milk, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, silicon dioxide, cellulose gum, soy lecithin, aspartame*, salt, dipotassium phosphate, artificial flavor, mono & diglycerides.*Phenylketonurics: contains phenylalanine.
Compare to 1 8oz glass of milk that has 12 grams of lactose...http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/1391.htmlK.------------------�When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall�Think of it, ALWAYS. �Mahatma GandhiMy story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html I do not work for anyone who sells any IBS related products.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.