Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to keep harping on this topic but I need an opinion. My doctor recently told me that you can't get too much Calcium. He said your body will absorb it. But when I was working at my church's bingo on Friday night, a lady came in and wanted to order cheesecake but said that she is not allowed to have it because her doctor said that she has too much calcium in her system. She said that even though her doctor told her that she has too much calcium in her system, she still has very bad osteoporosis. What do you suppose the deal is here? I want to take a third Caltrate per day because I'm just not comfortable with the improvement yet, but now I am nervous because of this lady's comments. Thanks for reading this..........

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I started a week ago taking the Caltrate in the purple box after first reading about it here a day before that (I'm a newbie here!) and I started on half a pill at meals, so that means I'm only taking 1 1/2 pills a day, which seems to work great for me so far. (But it has only been a week...) I think less calcium carbonate spread over the day is better than taking two full doses and then nothing in the evening. You might want to try 1/2 a pill. It's easier to swallow, too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jenb,Thanks for the suggestion. Maybe I will try spreading out the amount I am taking so I will constantly have some in my system. They are rather difficult to swallow!

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
soccer mon,It is very unsual for a person to show too much calcium. If you are normal in most other ways I don't think you need to worry about this.Jenb has the best solution and she is a newbie. break the tablet in 1/2 and take 1/2 at a time maybe up to 4 times a day this will keep a constant supply flowing for you.Your body can not process more than 500 mg at once anyway. I is just harder to remember to take it so many times a day.Linda

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was reading an article that claimed high levels of calcium intake aren't harmful because desert nomads intake 4 and 5 times as much as anyone else, and they are fine.I also read that calcium supplements that have been made using heat can malform the calcium which can lead to irregular shaped deposits, leading to arthritis and the like.Here is what they said...scroll down to minerals; about half way down. http://www.healing.org/only-14.html

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Hi, horning in here a bit. Also see the other recent Ca threads...Nope, sorry, but I think certain people CAN in fact have too much Ca, but let me explain. Maybe, overall, their bodies are actually low in Ca, yet nasty accumulations of Ca form in "odd" areas of the body, which has been the case with me (I know that thru testing). I believe it is impt. to watch one's intake of Ca carbonate -- not to overdo it -- since it is not necessarily properly absorbed into and utilized by everyone's bodies.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HipJan is correct - one can be ow in calcium in some tissues and far too much in others. It depends on what your body does with it. There are people with osteoarthritis who have calium deposits insoft tissue - like muscles - and deposits in the blood vessels - not uncommon. So it is a bit tricky - you need it and yet if you are putting it in the wrong places it can cause trouble. It is not simple. Hopefully we are doing it correctly.Svargo[This message has been edited by svargo_99 (edited 01-31-2000).]

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
WOW! Now just how dangerous is calcium deposits in the blood vessels and how much calcium is dangerous for you?? We need some one with good knowledge to answer this- it seems life threatening when you start messing around with calcium deposits in you bloood vessels- this reeks of strokes or heart attacks. Is 4 calcium too much? That is the dosage that does at least hold D at bay for a while for me.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
kno - I imagine svargo would be one of the best people here to answer your concerns. I think we just do the best we can with our calcium intake. However, you could better determine your own specific calcium needs through bloodwork showing your mineral levels, etc. Caltrate really seems to have worked small miracles for some IBSers on this BB, which is great. But, if you are concerned....since the carbonate form of calcium (Caltrate) is probably not the very best in terms of absorption throughout the body, perhaps at some point you could try other forms of calcium (such as capsule form). ------------------Cultivate gratitude. Believe in possibilities.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
You can take up to 2000 mg of calcium a day. Only 1 percent of the calcium in your body is in your blood; 99 percent is stored in your bones. If you lose calcium from your bloodstream, your body will steal it from your bones - that's how osteoporosis starts. Unless you have some kind of a medical condition (like parathyroid disease) that affects how your body uses calcium, you can safely take 2000 mg a day with no problem. As women, we shouldn't be worried about too much calcium unless you have a medical condition that would preclude you from taking it - ask your doctor. We should be worried about not getting enough, because most of us don't.------------------Fear can hold you prisoner.......hope can set you free.Missycat >^.^<

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.