Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya Missy,I was reading in one of your posts that you were going to try doubling up on the calcium around your period. Did you mean Citrate or Caltrate? Or both? And...is it working?thanks

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Geez, Peke - I'm sorry I haven't seen this post until now! I tried the calcium carbonate, and yes, it worked! I was taking only one a day, so I started taking two a day about 2 days before my period was expected. Well, my period was 2 days late, but whatever......it still worked! My bowels were a little loose, but no D, so I'll be doing this every month now. Both calcium carbonate and calcium citrate have worked for me - my biggest problem is remembering to take it, that's all. Good luck, dear - I hope you find success with this too!------------------"We can't become what we need to be by remaining what we are."-----Oprah WinfreyMissycat

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying Missy..I got a chance to talk to you in the chat room about it, so most of it got answered there. That very night, I went out and bought the Citrate...used it between meals and the carbonate WITH meals and its been working!!
If you recall, alot of my D happens on Monday (really bad) and I know it's all in my head (stress of work I guess) yada yada yada....and even though I only started Sunday night it made a difference on Monday-no D!
Thats like the 1st week in months...wow, it was so nice. (does cartwheel)Again, that may be all in my head as well, but I doubt it..I was pretty skeptical ANYthing could help me on Mondays, let alone the night before.Like you, the carbonate was working great in the beginning, and then I started having attacks again..it was around the same time as you as well, thats why I was so interested in what you were doing, thinking our tummies might be somewhat similiar in response to calcium.I will be doubling up on weekends now in the hopes it will stave off the D on monday.Thanks so much for *patiently* answering *all* my questions!!Lotsa hugs,Cathy

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
You're more than welcome, Peke - I'm just so glad you found something to make Mondays less Monday-like!!
------------------"We can't become what we need to be by remaining what we are."-----Oprah WinfreyMissycat

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Missycat suggested I double up on calcium for my trip last weekend and, although I did still have an attack, it wasn't too bad and stopped really quick. So, I've come up with a new formula that seems to be working pretty well: Caltrate Plus with each meal (3x a day)and once calcium citrate before going to bed at night. My problems are usually on the weekends...almost as if my whole body decides that once I don't need to be in the office, it can just break downd and do what it's been wanting to do all week, namely, having a lot of D. I'll let you know how it my new plan workd this weekend. Intersting the way the calcium dosage/formula needs tweaking here and there.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Missy or LDanna;Just catching up after being away. How are you both doing? Can I take both the Caltrate and Citrate? I thought it was either one or the other. This is great news. If you both think it helps, I am willing to give it a try. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Hi Cheryl -- I've been taking both and doing better than before. I see no reason not to take both because one is better absorbed with meals and the other on an empty stomach. Most of us need the extra calcium and the best way to do it is spread out through the day. With the Caltrate, there's a big gap between dinner and breakfast the next morning. If you think about it many of us have our worst problems in the AM, so it just seems logical to take a calcium citrate before going to bed....as sort of insurance.Are you taking the citrate or the Caltrate? How are you doing with it?

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Well, gals, I remember reading somewhere that you shouldn't take both calcium carbonate and calcium citrate - that it's better to be consistent with one or the other - but I can't remember where I saw that. To tell you the truth, I think part of my success is that I'm taking both - mostly just when I remember. I have calcium citrate tablets in my desk drawer at work and lots of both at home, so it sort of depends on where I am when I remember.------------------"We can't become what we need to be by remaining what we are."-----Oprah WinfreyMissycat

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi LDanna,I have been taking the Calcium Citrate for about 5 weeks. You recommended citrate to people who were not getting good results from Caltrate Plus. I had a few bad days since I started citrate but nothing like before. I agree that the AM is the worst time and will try taking Caltrate Plus before bed. Thanks for your help, LDanna.PS. Glad your trip went well. I am so far behind in my reading. Missy,I know you have a million things going with your wedding. I can see why you would have your calcium tablets at home and at work. Thanks.
------------"A dream is a wish your heart makes."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.