Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have been on Paroxetine now for a couple years now, and it has done WONDERS to help calm my stomach. I was always so stressed during high school, and never wanted to go, and the thought of going the next day gave me instant anxiety that caused stomach problems to arise.My doctor prescribed Paroxetine (Paxil) for the nerves, and it has absolutely worked WONDERS.I did 2 VERY simple things to help get rid of A LOT of my stomach issues, I rarely have them now:1. Take Paroxetine2. Do not eat tomatoesYes, really, that's all I did. Once I did those two things, I have been what I would probably call "cured".

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi AmericanPatriot - are you diarrhea or constipation pre-dominant, and was pain a major symptom? Thanks for posting.
Pretty sure it was mild IBS-D.I can't even compare my troubles to some of the things I have read on these forums, but stopping eating tomatoes and taking paroxetine REALLY helped a lot.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm an IBS-D and paroxetine was really helpful for me as well. I was on it for about four years...I could have come off for the IBS symptoms a little sooner, but I was going through some life changes and opted to stay on it just in case for awhile longer. Went off of it in March of this year and so far (knock on wood) my IBS symptoms have not returned to the point that they were before starting it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Life was pretty good when I stopped it too, and so far it's stayed the same way. I think you have to take a look at what's going on in your life and what's coming up. I would avoid stopping it over the holidays, just because there are parties and whatnot. Personally, I could have gone off of it 9-12 months sooner and probably been okay, but I opted to stay on because I was finishing school, getting married and starting a new job and I wanted the safety net.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm not the party type! So holidays won't make any difference. I work most of them anyway.Hmmmmm....I have a "don't rock the boat" mentality with this one. But don't like the idea of being on this drug forever either.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yeah, it was a hard decision for me to make, but ultimately I'm glad that I went off of them. Another thing that impacted my decision is that I'll probably be trying to get pregnant within two years and wanted to be off antidepressants for that. I do continuous birth control to control my symptoms and I'll have to go off of those when the time comes, so I figured taking one medication off at a time was a good plan. Good luck with whatever you do!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's good to know.I've been thinking of coming off, but life is good....should I risk it?Decisions, decisions.
Personally, I wouldn't recommend it, but I'm not a doctor so don't take my advice. I just know that I'm not going to attempt it, seeing as how I'm going to college in the Fall. I'd probably be back on it soon anyway so I think I'll just stick with it for a while.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.