Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of you know that I live pretty close to the border...well take this for what it's worth and either take heed or go for it! What I am about to post is directly from one of the Mexican/American's that works with my husband...he JUST became a citizen 2 weeks ago!He WAS going across the border every weekend to see family and we just found out, to pick up over the counter drugs for friends and family...he said that he is not going anymore now till things calm down! IF you drive, they do a complete search of your car...if you walk, you'll be searched as well..ALL over the counter meds are being confiscated....
As I said, this is what a fellow worker said, I have NOT tried this myself..the ARE searching purses, etc...the border is taking a LOOOOOOOOOONG time to get across...You may have an easier time if you are flying directly into Mexico, I dunno...You can still try, not trying to stop anyone, just telling what this gentleman told hubby today because he was going to see if he could pick up a weeks supply for me...Sorry for the bad news...if you are still going...good luck and let us know which border you made it through without loosing your drugs!!

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're welcome I guess...I wish it was not bad news like that but it's from 5pm today
if you do go...GOD be with you and I HOPE you get your drugs back here..if so, let us know..I HATE having to tell bad news
but wanted to let anyone know since it's expensive to fly, drive whatever and the time and then the possible loss of all your hard work...IF you do go, might make it worth while to get as much as possible and hide in your shoe, bra, whatever to get it back here...BEST of luck!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Pookie's Mom,I just spoke to a friend of mine who lives in San Diego. Her husband is from TJ and she said its a real mess getting across the border. At times they just close it. You could be stuck inside for up to 3 hours just waiting for them to open the gates again. Her husbands family comes across daily to work so they are bringing it for me, but I have instructed them not to hide it. I also told them to ask a border guard if over the counter 90 day supply is OK. I'll let you know.Thanks again, I have cancelled my flight reservation.judy

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Judy, As I understand the legislation that passed in July, it is okay to bring a 90 day supply of over the counter medication from Mexico back into the U.S. as long as you have a prescription from your doctor. In the past they did not check for the doctor's prescription, this might have changed with recent events. It is not okay to bring drugs back for other people, which is why some drugs may be confiscated.

G

·
No true - my father-in-law walked right across the border, proceeded to the Rio location of the Internat'al Phamarcy chain that carries the drug (see other notes as to location), purchased it, and walked thru customs w/o any hitches. Right now, they're looking for suspicious folks and weapons, not over-the-counter meds! Its worth it - its easy and cheap. Not sure if its working yet, day 5 for me, but hoping for the best!GO TO MEXICO!

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Sure hope you all get to try the Zelnorm. Right now it's the only drug that can help those of us with IBS-C.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.